This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Switch Removal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320
Circle of Safety: Y

Switch Removal

Postby thiggy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:32 pm

I need to remove my 4 position light switch. I installed it prior to installing the hood/fuel tank assembly. Is it possible to remove the light switch without removing the hood?

You know, nearly every time that I post here, I am asking for assistance or guidance. I am thankful for all the help that I have received from you folks, and I hope that at some point I will have enough experience to help others. Thiggy
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

Re: Switch Removal

Postby Bob Perry » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:39 pm

Depends on how big your hands are and if you have good dexterity. For me I'd probably loosen the dash and turn it but I have kinda large hands.
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:52 pm

I have done it, because the grounds for the wiring harness on my Lo-Boy go underneath one of the dash mounting bolts, and it is more of a pain to replace that bolt while keeping the wires in place than it is to manoeuver the switch in and out with the dash in place.

However, I never considered Bob's suggestion of just turning it. I think that it would work if I just took out the right side bolt and loosened the left side (which has the ground wires) and pivoted the dash so as to have more room.

"Dinna fash yoursel'" about asking questions. Just keep working on your Cub. Soon enough, you will acquire the knowledge and be able to give back. Took me a long time.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:00 pm

Actually, what I assume would have to be done is to remove the rear tank to dash bolts and loosten the two lower dash mounting bolts and pulling the dash back for a bit of clearance. If that gives me enough space to disconnect the switch, it will be better than completely removing the hood assembly.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:48 pm

yes, you can do it that way, I have done it. While you are at it, think about how hard it will be to change the fuse, and go to your local auto parts stores and get a circuit breaker that will clip into the holder in place of it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:00 pm

Tech Tip: Whenever replacing components not only on cubs but on any piece of equipment or machinery such as switches, relays, light sockets, fuel pumps etc; always add enough pigtail or extra wire to permit removal of the component next time without removal of the harness or leads first.

If its possible to sneak a component out with extended leads which normally would not be able to be removed without removing other components to get at the leads or connector first, you wll save yourself a lot of time if that component fails in the future.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:05 pm

I would not want that extra wire in there, tight enough with out more wire than you need. It can be removed with out taking the dash a loose but it is faster just to take the bolts out and prop up the gas tank. really no trouble if you have had it a part before
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:20 pm

I'll give a report tomorrow after I have tackled the problem.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:24 pm

Boss Hog wrote:It can be removed with out taking the dash a loose but it is faster just to take the bolts out and prop up the gas tank. really no trouble if you have had it a part before
Boss

Kinda neat, that is the same way I do it. After taking the hood off a number of times it occurred to me that there had to be a better way ... I also loosen the the dash bolts as well -- tips it back a tad. Gives just a little bit more room for my big hands :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:34 pm

I decided to go ahead and remove the hood since I did not have any fuel in it and the fuel line was not connected anyway. I also loostened the two mounting bolts on the dashboard to give me a little more working room. I got the switch off with no trouble. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Return to “Farmall Cub”