This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Powered McCormick 52-R Combine

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Powered McCormick 52-R Combine

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:40 am

Actually, the original plugging was caused by none of knowing to push the back of the upper canvas down and latching it in place. It didn't even look moveable, but we knew something wasn't right because the crop would just pile up against the front of the cylinder chamber, instead of being directed into the cylinder. In the video, it looks like we're traveling pretty slow but we gradually increased our speed and toward the end of the run, we were moving right along and had the little C-60 talking. That little engine ran great and never missed a beat. The Cub handled it fairly well but that combine has a lot of tongue weight. Steve had to take off very carefully to keep the front wheels on the ground. Bud's farm is very flat ground so we were able to use the Cub, otherwise a larger tractor would have been required. The return elevator did plug once, I think due to moisture. It was quickly cleaned out and right back to work. We were having a lot of fun, till the drizzle forced us to return to the barn.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:34 am

It's hard to tell in the video were the beans coming out whole or were they cracking? Makes me wonder if the concave was too tight and grinding too much stuff, which let too much stuff into the return elevator.
Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Pabst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44333
Tractors Owned: Farmall cub 56-Spartacus
International cub 76
Cub L-F 194 Plow
Cub F38 Disk Harrow
Cub L-F1 Platform Carrier
Cub 54 Leveling Blade

Postby Pabst » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:02 pm

Thanks for the video, Bill.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:17 pm

Al, For the most part the beans were coming out whole. The imminent rain, and lack of time prevented any fine tuning that could have been done to minimize cracking, etc. Bud had found a manual on eBay, but didn't really have the opportunity to study it beforehand.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:57 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Al, For the most part the beans were coming out whole. The imminent rain, and lack of time prevented any fine tuning that could have been done to minimize cracking, etc. Bud had found a manual on eBay, but didn't really have the opportunity to study it beforehand.

Bob

Good deal, that probably means the cylinder was slow enough. You have to swap pulleys around to get it slow enough for beans if it is set for wheat. I have never tried and don't want to, what with the jib keys to deal with and all....

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

BJ Moretz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28661
Tractors Owned: IHCC Chapter 42
1985 Ford 1310
2007 MF 1533
1942 Farmall M
1970 Farmall Cub
1946 Farmall B
1200 Cub Cadet

Postby BJ Moretz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:01 pm

Great video, thanks for posting. Thanks also to the guys who preserved that nice piece of history !
BJ Moretz
Member Chapter 42 IHCC
1970 Farmall Cub
1533 MF
1310 Ford
1946 Farmall B
1942 Farmall M
1200 Cub Cadet

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:49 am

Was the 52R ever equipped with a pickup type feed? I have this very foggy picture and am not sure of which combine. I didn't find anything on google but did find this pto bin type. Probably a later type since I understand the earlier ones had a round bin. Dad's was a round bin. Vern

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:59 am

v w wrote:Was the 52R ever equipped with a pickup type feed? I have this very foggy picture and am not sure of which combine. I didn't find anything on google but did find this pto bin type. Probably a later type since I understand the earlier ones had a round bin. Dad's was a round bin. Vern

Yes they could have a pickup. My tanker came to me that way. The PO had received all the stuff to put a straight cutterbar on it. So my combine essentially has a new cutterbar on it!

Al

peanut
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60554

Postby peanut » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:29 pm

After watching this video a I really wish I would have been down on Friday as well as Saturday. Still had a great time and look forward to seeing everyone again sometime soon.

Return to “Farmall Cub”