This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Should drive gear shaft be smooth?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Should drive gear shaft be smooth?

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:52 am

Boss, now that we know the inexpensive chance of this $1.00 "o"ring working was already tried http://www.tmtractor.com/new/hy/396fp.htm
, I would agree with you, but now it'll cost quite abit more, especially finding someone who will sell just the good shaft alone and not wanting to sell the whole pump. He'll be also taking a chance on buying any used pump, unless it's taken apart by the seller and thoroughly inspected.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:45 am

Weren't the main pump parts fitted together in the first place? If so, any used shaft should be kept with the original pump. Besides, since that shaft is the only part that ever needs replacing, removing a good shaft from a used pump makes the rest of the pump junk. In other words, if you need to replace the shaft, look for a complete used pump.

Cubota
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16033
Tractors Owned: ;~)
1949 Cub
193 Moldboard Plow
Front Blade/Grader

2004 Kubota BX2230
Front Loader
60" Belly Mower

Postby Cubota » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:48 pm

I found a shaft at Burghs that was in much better shape than mine. He, of course, threw in the rest of the pump at no additional cost. The new (to me) shaft shows some wear marks, but no grooves. I think the pump had been setting on his bench for quite some time.
I only replaced the drive gear and put it in the pump that was on my tractor. Should have I used the pump that came with the drive gear since it had worn together with the other gear and bushings in that pump?

Fred
"Greasy" 1949 Cub Serial # 97132

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:58 pm

Cubota wrote:Should have I used the pump that came with the drive gear since it had worn together with the other gear and bushings in that pump?
Prefered method is to keep pump parts together. Exchanging the drive gear will probably won't effect the pump's operation.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.

Postby Papa's Cub » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:07 pm

I put a kit in my pump a couple of months ago. I had a slight grove in my shaft and I tried to polish it out as much as possible. So far its OK. However, if it does start to leak again, how much does a new or good used shaft cost. Thanks.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

Cubota
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16033
Tractors Owned: ;~)
1949 Cub
193 Moldboard Plow
Front Blade/Grader

2004 Kubota BX2230
Front Loader
60" Belly Mower

Postby Cubota » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:24 pm

The used drive gear cost me $40.00, which came with a free pump. The guy would not budge on the price. Not sure if I paid to much for it, but he had it and I was in need.
I had bought a used magneto coil cover the week before for $20.00 from the same guy, which was $10.00 less than what he told me on the phone. I thought it was a great deal since a new on is $50.00 and the one I bought was in great shape.

Fred
"Greasy" 1949 Cub Serial # 97132

Return to “Farmall Cub”