This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

49 CUB QUITS

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
andy7102
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

49 CUB QUITS

Postby andy7102 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:51 pm

My 49 Cub with belly mower will run about 20 minutes,then lose all power. It may run at idle but sometimes doesn't have enough power to move with PTO off. I can get some power by chocking along with black smoke from exhaust. This has been happening all summer probably 15 to 20 times. Have tried many fixes but none seem to work. Does anyone out there have a possible diagnosis?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 49 CUB QUITS

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Andy, If you'll list the fixes you've tried, it will make it easier to narrow down possible problems.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:41 pm

andy7102 wrote:My 49 Cub with belly mower will run about 20 minutes,then lose all power.
First thought, coil breaking down. Magneto or battery powered ignition system?
It may run at idle but sometimes doesn't have enough power to move with PTO off. I can get some power by chocking along with black smoke from exhaust.
Indicates fuel/carburetion system working.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:03 pm

Pull the main jet out of the side of the carb and make sure the holes are FULLY clean. They get varnish that builds up on them and small bits of crud plug them up but float away when the flow drops off. I catch flack for suggesting using a straight pin, but it is strong enough to wipe the gunk from inside the tiny holes. Since I did that on mine, my low power issues are far fewer and farther in between.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:38 pm

Hmmm 49 Cub, probably magneto. Probably ignition but could be fuel starvation albeit intermittent at that.

As ntrenn mentioned, check the main jet - especially the tiny longitudinal orifice. Do not use anything made of steel in that orifice. A nice piece of a single strand of twisted pair (telephone wire) will do the job perfectly without scratching or scoring the brass jet. Also check the needle and cage. Hold the empty cage up to the light - if it is kind of opaque then there is a bit of varnish in the cage which may be causing the problem.

Also, Eugene is correct as well. Sounds like ignition so check the coil. Make sure it is putting out a very bright blue spark. Also check the condition of the spark plug wires and ends/boots ensuring that all are good.

And of course if you let us know what you have done and what the results were that would be of help.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:16 am

Black smoke is the primary indicator of unburned fuel, technically referred to as incomplete combustion.

There are only 2 causes.

One, too much fuel being delivered to the cylinders and the excess fuel that can't be burned is going up the stack in the form of black smoke, a carburation issue, or...

Two, ignition failing to burn the proper amount of fuel being delivered to the cylinders.

Troubleshoot your ignition system thoroughly before messing with the carb.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

andy7102
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby andy7102 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:20 pm

Thanks for ideas. As for fix attempts; New coil, wires, spark plugs, rotor, points ,condenser, clean fuel tank, sediment bowl, fuel line, carb (only blow out I'll try telephone wire) making sure gas cap breather hole isn't plugged, After each fix it runs fine so I think the problem has been found but after about 20 minutes of hard work it quits again! I wonder why the time factor as that would seem to coinside with the time needed for the engine to get warmed up. another fact:: The tractor was converted to 12 volts by a previous owner at least 20 years ago.
The black smoke only occurs when I overchoke to get the cub to get a little more power than idle.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:33 pm

andy7102 wrote:After each fix it runs fine so I think the problem has been found but after about 20 minutes of hard work it quits again!
Eugene wrote:
andy7102 wrote:My 49 Cub with belly mower will run about 20 minutes,then lose all power.
First thought, coil breaking down.
20 minute run time - common symptom of coil break down.

Heat related, electrical cause. Ballast resistor on/at ignition coil? Bad new ignition coil? Wrong ignition coil?

And another thought. When the engine starts to falter, check for battery voltage on the ballast resistor input side, voltage drop on output side and output voltage at both coil terminals. No ballast resistor, check for voltage at both coil terminals. Battery voltage at input terminal and voltage drop at output terminal.
I have an excuse. CRS.

andy7102
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby andy7102 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:26 am

|Had a small mishap with cub , managed to hit rad with something and now must remove rad to get repared. Other problem at standstill for a couple of weeks.

andy7102
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby andy7102 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:34 pm

Problem solved. New coil and the cub runs fine. The coil was new and was either faulty or not correct one. Anyway I cut 5 acres of grass this afternoon so I know it's working. Thanks for suggestions. n

Return to “Farmall Cub”