This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cycle mower clogging

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
grasser
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46725
Tractors Owned: '47 Cub
'77 IH Cub
'49 Farmall C w/trip bucket loader
Dad's WD-45
Circle of Safety: Y

Cycle mower clogging

Postby grasser » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:02 pm

Tried mowing some grass hay tonight using my "new to me" cycle mower for the first time.
Mower wants to clog up with grass. The cut grass wants to cling to the top of te cutter bar and within 5' I've got a pile of hay instead of a windrow.

Does my cutter need sharpened or replaced, or could there be something else wrong.
I've been mowing hay for 20 years with a Haybine, but the 22 mower is new to me.

Any help appreciated.
Justin

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Re: Cycle mower clogging

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:13 pm

The knife sections and ledger plates need to be sharp and in close contact with each other for the cutting action to take place. What you describe would lead me to believe that the sections and ledger plates are not close together. Also check the knife register. Information is in the C-22 manual found in the Manuals link at the top of this page.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:15 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:The knife sections and ledger plates need to be sharp and in close contact with each other for the cutting action to take place. What you describe would lead me to believe that the sections and ledger plates are not close together. Also check the knife register. Information is in the C-22 manual found in the Manuals link at the top of this page.

Bill

I agree with Bill. If the cutter bar is not in contact with the ledger plates, the grass will be bent, not sheared cleanly. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

chickenfarmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12865
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub - "Edna"
*C-22 Sickle Bar
*Snowplow
*Bush Hog tow behind flail

Postby chickenfarmer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:19 pm

:Dito: Also maybe try adjusting the pitch of the cutter bar, roll it back I would say. I typically have to adjust mine based on what I am cutting and what the terrain is. Good luck getting it honed in, thats always the best part in my opinion.
"Whatever cranks your tractor."

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:23 pm

In addition to what the others have suggested, it sounds like your knife clips are worn and need a little adjusting with a BFH. They help keep the knife sections and ledger plates in close contact. Also, make sure everything is well lubricated to reduce friction.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:37 pm

An old mower you may find the ledger plates are worn and do not have sharp corners. They can be replaced. The cutters need good sharp edges too. The tension and even contact others have mentioned is important too.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:15 pm

In addition ground speed and engine speed will make somewhat of a difference on top of everything already mentioned. You have to have the engine going fast enough to cut the grass, and the tractor going fast enough to get out from under the cut grass as it falls rearward over the bar.

grasser
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46725
Tractors Owned: '47 Cub
'77 IH Cub
'49 Farmall C w/trip bucket loader
Dad's WD-45

Postby grasser » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:09 am

Thanks guys. I'll play some more this weekend.
Had to load hay and haul some manure last night, so I ran out of time to work on dialing in.
Justin

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:45 am

Most of us my age grew up with a sickle bar mower being the only power option to cut hay and clip pastures. It was not until recent years that a rotary mower came about and had a great impact on cutting grass. Most rotary mowers just keep on mowing, cutting thick brush and grass and even small trees. A sickle bar is much more fragile and temperamental. Even though the C-22 mower on here (I have one) gets a lot of favorable press, it is only a fair machine at best, for cutting grass. Because of these limitations of a sickle mover, the fairly new disc mowers took the hay cutting by storm, when introduced.

As stated above everything has to be set almost perfect to make mowing with a C-22 fun. The register has to be correct, sections either new or sharp, sections good contact with ledger plates, along with the right speed of tractor. You want to run the tractor as fast as you can and still stay on the seat. This lets you "runaway" from the cut. It is usually better to have the leading edge of the guards tilted up to allow the cut grass to fall back.

Another thing is, you cannot cross over already cut grass as you can with a rotary mower. This will clog the bar every time. That is the purpose of the grassboard; to clear a path for the next round of cutting.

My 2 cents worth.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

Postby Bob Perry » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:07 am

Interesting post. Just one thing, if you change the spelling to "sickle" it will be more searchable.
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:18 am

I confess I quickly skimmed the comments, which were all good and on point but I did not see this one. Wet grass is tough and will clog sickle guards. Do not try to cut grass before the dew is off or until the grass has dried following a rain. As the saying goes, "hay when the sun shines." This concern is not as important with a rotary cutter.

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:44 am

challenger wrote:I confess I quickly skimmed the comments, which were all good and on point but I did not see this one. Wet grass is tough and will clog sickle guards. Do not try to cut grass before the dew is off or until the grass has dried following a rain. As the saying goes, "hay when the sun shines." This concern is not as important with a rotary cutter.

Agreed. A sickle mower is more suited for cutting weeds and hay (stem type plants). Grass is a finer, soft textured material and better suited for rotary cutting. A sickle mower can cut grass, but as stated in the above posts, the better it is maintained and set up the better chance it will have cutting grass.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”