This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Belt Pulley Gear Box Rebuild

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Steve K. CALIF
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93636
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub #550
1962 LoBoy
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Belt Pulley Gear Box Rebuild

Postby Steve K. CALIF » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:40 pm

Rudi...I'm sorry for taking so long in responding to your request. I just finished getting 5 vertebrae fused in my back on the 24th and I am just home from the hospital. Then I fell and smashed my face. I have information regarding these bearings but at this point I am still groggy from pain medication, please bear with me and I will get you more information about the disposition of these bearings. Sometimes it seems people are in search of a certain bearing that is not in existence for their tractor but we may be able to circumvent this with a bearing that will suffice. There are a lot of good comments in the thread above but please let me check out and cipher through the comments to hopefully bail you out. Again my apologies and hopefully I will be able to respond in a more coherent fashion soon.
Thanks for your confidence in me, Steve K.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:45 pm

Steve:

Oh my gosh ... :shock: Didn't know ... wow 5 vertebrae fused and you are typing :?: Hmmm I think I would still be zoned out on Demerol :roll: Take your time, get better, hopefully we will be able to find a supplier while we are in NY for the fest. Our prayers will be with you as you recover from this operation (+) and take it easy :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Steve K. CALIF
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93636
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub #550
1962 LoBoy

Postby Steve K. CALIF » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:25 pm

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. I'll be better soon and hopefully of value to you, too! Best regards Steve (Metal Parts incluceded) K.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:32 pm

I surely wish you a speedy recovery Steve.... I know a back is a tough recovery, but if it helps we are all pulling for ya.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:46 am

I am pretty good at bird dogging parts and have just about given up on that roller bearing. It was suggested that a NU204 would work and the rollers are just too big. The shaft is 1.110 and the NU204 is about 1.062 (going from memory). So I used the original bearing, not that bad all in all, but the shaft was a bit 'rough'.

Both surfaces the seals run on were also rough, one is a bushing that fits over the output shaft. On a Fast Hitch Mott mower that is the input shaft. I scrubbed #2 down, primed it and painted it. Then installed it on the Mott with the correct size pulley (standard vs. 'speed up') and it mows like new! The main reason for taking apart #2 (flail mower) was the front seal leaked and apparently let in water, even frequent oil changes were milky. But one of the ball bearings 'broke' the last time I mowed with it. Good timing because I had planned it as the last mow for the year before taking it to Cecil's fest.

I replaced the open ball bearings with sealed bearings and closed off the oil passages with RTV.

You can see the 'rough' spot where the impossible to find bearing goes. Gears should be a matched set, so the one on the right went back into #2:

The Hyatt 1204T and the NU 204

The output slip ring, where the seal runs.

Sealed off the oil passages with RTV and used a sealed bearing

After a test mow...
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:51 pm

Larry:

Boy, that gear box looks a whole lot better now :!: :D Nicely done :applause:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

phildidit
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30114
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub "Ms. Scarlett"
1962 Leora's loboy "Starburst"

Postby phildidit » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:14 pm

Make sure you torque down the bolts. after I rebuilt mine and mowed a little while they workedf themselves loose, so I had to retourque.

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:55 pm

Wow - that shaft is in real need of repair. With spalling like that, I would not expect the bearing to last very long at all.
Is there enough room in the housing to be able to go with a bigger OD cylindrical roller with a loose inner race?

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:43 pm

Thanks Rudi and Phil. If I use it at all this year I will check the bolts.

Yep ntrenn, I am not at all happy about that. But for now it is what it is.

There is a reason I shake my head when people with 'milky oil' in the tranny just change it and wonder why it makes noise. Water is very tough on bearings and ground surfaces and that gearbox ALWAYS had milky oil, even though I would replace it twice a year (been using it two years). I didn't want to get into cutting the shaft and finding a bearing for it in the short term. That gearbox is as old as I am and the other is older. I have the other one and time to find a good solution. Better to have the mower running at this point, at least the gearbox isn't on my bench. :roll:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:39 am

Larry:

Have a look at this page. Hyatt 1204T. Ed sent me this link and it looks like the Hyatt's are available. Course which one is the right one.... IIRC from Cecil's after we got my gear box broke down, the Hyatt was a 1204TS ???? If so then looks like it is available. Will have to go down to the pole barn in a bit and see if it is. Then I will probably order a couple and see what they look like.

STEYR 1204TGC3 SELF ALIGNING BALL BEARING - SINGLE BEARING $25.14 Available

Generic 1204TN SELF ALIGNING BALL BEARING - SINGLE BEARING $12.57 Available

HYATT 1204TS CYLINDRICAL ROLLER BEARING - SINGLE BEARING $26.15 Available

Generic 1204TS CYLINDRICAL ROLLER BEARING - SINGLE BEARING $12.24 Available

DKF 1204TV SELF ALIGNING BALL BEARING - SINGLE BEARING $22.01 Available

FAG Bearings 1204TVC3 SELF ALIGNING BALL BEARING - SINGLE BEARING $24.04 Available

FAG Bearings 1204TV SELF ALIGNING BALL BEARING - SINGLE BEARING $28.29 Available

NSK Corporation 1204TNG SELF ALIGNING BALL BEARING - SINGLE BEARING $20.12 Available

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:19 pm

Let us know, Rudi.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:18 pm

I just came back from a short walk to the pole barn. In my old age, CRS is a daily event so it took reading Don's post to get me butt in gear and get down there. Been one of them days -- sitting with my concentrator for company.

Anyways... I checked the bearing in the Gear Box I took to Cecil's. The bearing is a Hyatt 1204TV so the two that would work for sure would be these:

DKF 1204TV SELF ALIGNING BALL BEARING - SINGLE BEARING $22.01 Available

FAG Bearings 1204TV SELF ALIGNING BALL BEARING - SINGLE BEARING $28.29 Available

I am going to check with a couple of my local suppliers tomorrow/Monday and see what is available here. If I can't find one, I will probably order one from LocateBallBearings.com

Either or will probably be good as they are both produced by the same company - FAG. And they have a Canadian plant :{_}: So, it would be buying North American which makes me happy :||):

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:30 pm

Rudi, between the time I submitted a inquiry to that company and got a call from the nice agent there (very quickly), I sent you an email to confirm what was on your NDH (New Departure Hyatt) bearing. I couldn't remember if it was 1204TV or 1204TS. The rep. said it was a Hyatt 1204 T and they had 33 in stock. Got 31 now. Film at 11...

BTW it is NOT a ball bearing, it's a roller bearing. Look at the 2nd and 4th pictures I posted. So most of the list can get thrown out. It would be interesting to see what the 'generic' one actually is. But I am not one to buy second rate bearings.

Also, the ST225B's (generic 6205-J) that I replaced with sealed bearings are now a new part number. I did order some from C&G, 210041 is the CNH part number and they are not marked at all, but the box does say 'MADE IN CHINA'. I guess the whole world is going that way?? I have always found CNH bearings and seals to be good quality at competitive prices.... but not sure I like the latest shipment. The sealed SKF bearings were about the same price with free shipping on ebay.

I am headed to the fort to do some mowing with the Mott in the AM.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Larry:

They will probably be down to 30 or maybe 29.... on Monday. I won't be buying the generics either. I will get the FAG's methinks - are those the ones you got? . I take it I will probably have to call them as well. Want to make sure that I get the 1204T Roller Bearings not the Ball Bearings. Yup, the list can go to file 13. As soon as I get the new numbers/or you do, we should give them to Don so he can update the parts list for the gear box.

I like it when a plan comes together :{_}:

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:36 pm

That mower runs awesome! And quiet too. But after a couple of hours mowing at the fort I noticed a bit of a leak. Thought it was the drain plug, turns out to be the new 'cover'. Will get it figured out, but no 'pressure' relief (blocked off now, #1 does not have one) could be part of the problem? Or I may not have installed it right (hammer too small?). I went ahead and mowed the redoubt after the fort as there was still enough HyTran in it. I can't believe how well the new turf is doing there, the place looks good.

Return to “Farmall Cub”