This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Touch Cntrol Rebuild Questions

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Touch Cntrol Rebuild Questions

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:17 pm

In the process of reviewing manuals for the rebuild of my spare SA Touch Control here at Stonethrow, one source (the I&T Manual) said "When reassembling the unit, dip all parts in clean "Touch Control" fluid and lubricate all "O" ring seals with vaseline or equivalent." Another (the Blue Ribbon Service Handbook) said with regard to o-rings, "Use a good grade of light cup grease for lubricant", and says it provides needed initial lubrication. In the past, I have simply used lots of HyTran fluid when reassembling everything.

I am not familiar with "Cup Grease"(??), so I am asking:
If you have done a touch control rebuild, what did you use for reassembly lubrication of the parts including O-rings?
Do you recommend the use of vaseline rather than just HyTran for the o-rings?

Thanks for the input...tomorrow we'll see how it goes!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Touch Cntrol Rebuild Questions

Postby Rudi » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:06 pm

Dale:

Cup grease is the type of grease that is used in bearings and bearing cups -- when repacking wheel bearings for example, you grab a few fingers full of cup or bearing grease and press it into the ball or roller bearings to provide lubrication. You can find it on the shelves of any good auto parts store -- NAPA should have it.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:23 am

use Vaseline and plenty of Hy Tran , keep it CLEAN DO not use cup grease . Cub grease 40 years ago would melt in to the Hy Tran, todays cup grease will not
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:16 am

I used Hy Trans on my SA rebuild. I also left all the old O rings on all the parts until rebuild time. Some are very close in size, and I matched them up as I went.

Tom
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:31 am

Thanks guys! "Cup"...sheesh! Of course! My problem was that I am used to calling them bearings and races rather than cups and cones, from my aircraft restorations.

Boss,
Boss Hog wrote:use Vaseline and plenty of Hy Tran , keep it CLEAN DO not use cup grease . Cub grease 40 years ago would melt in to the Hy Tran, todays cup grease will not
That was actually my worry about the Vaseline..whether it would be compatible with the HyTran.

And I will definitely be careful about leaving the orings on until ready to replace them. I already have the new ones seperated into a little plastic parts container, waiting to be matched up.

Oh, a quick question...when I asked here about this, a suggestion of "Assembly Grease" (not sure if that is the right name) that is used when reassembling engines. Would this be good?

OK, off to breakfast and another fun day at Stonethrow!!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:29 am

Dale, I remember 1 O ring in particular was either 13/16 or 3/4, depending on your TC unit. Watch for that one,as both should be included in the kit.

Tom
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:11 am

I was of the understanding that the term cup grease actually came from how it was applied rather than what is was lubricating. Before the advent of Zerk fittings, machinery had a fitting at each bearing that resembled a miniature shallow funnel with threads on the outside. A cup, shaped like a tiny top hat was filled with grease and screwed down over it a little at a time to apply grease as needed. As the Zerk fittings came to be used the old timers kept both cup grease, which was a thicker grease mush like a soft soap, and gun grease for the Zerks which was a thinner grease that could be pumped, much like what we use today.

As to Boss Hog's comment on using cup grease, he is right on. There is a big difference in modern grease versus what was available 40 to 50 years ago, which is a reason for using the low quality cheap grease on the throwout of a cub ( I know, different forum, but a reminder does not hurt). The throwout bearing in the cub clutch is lubricated by the oil seeping out of the wax base and soaking into the graphite. Modern good quality grease is designed to NOT separate.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”