This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Governor Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320
Circle of Safety: Y

Governor Question

Postby thiggy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:07 pm

I drove my Cub for the first time this afternoon and experienced uneven engine speed. It seemed that the governor was "searching" for a proper speed. I had no problem keeping the engine running, but it continually surged back and forth, making for an uneven ride. Any diagnostic suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Stan.

By the way, as you may notice, I just posted another question (oil cup) right before this one. What is the better way to present questions when they are on unrelated subjects? Should I ask both questions in the same posting, or do most folks make two separate posts?
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Re: Governor Question

Postby Yogie » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:24 pm

Usually it's a fuel problem when they start doing that. Check the fuel flow, sounds like somethings wrong in that area.. :wink:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:28 pm

Check the throttle rod (from the governor rockshaft to the carb throttle shaft) and make sure it is not touching the engine block anywhere,. That can cause it to surge....

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:30 pm

Have you made any recent changes to the carburetor or it's linkages?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:29 am

thiggy wrote:
What is the better way to present questions when they are on unrelated subjects? Should I ask both questions in the same posting, or do most folks make two separate posts?

In response to your question about tech questions, the way you posted your questions gives readers an opportunity to see both questions at a glance while browsing the forum instead of just one.

Myself having expertise in some subjects and none in others may overlook your second question which I could possibly be of assistance with, but never would have read your second question having no expertise in the original question you asked in the subject line of a single forum posting.

In response to the governor question, sometimes the solution to the problem is a simple lubrication issue which is a cheap fix. If you haven't already, suspect any linkage pivot point between the governor and the carb, soaking them with your penatrant of choice to insure they operate freely before diving into the carb or governor system.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:42 am

Thanks for the responses. Although it is possible that there is a fuel flow issue, I tend to doubt it. The fuel tank was perfectly clean and free of rust, I have just installed a new fuel strainer assembly along with a new (steel) fuel line. There are no kinks in the line. The carb was disassembled, soaked in carb cleaner and reassembled with a new carb kit, after blowing out all the orfices. During my overhaul, I have had all the various linkages removed from the tractor, but I tried to be careful to avoid making any changes in the linkage adjustments. When I first started work on the Cub, I found the shaft coming out of the governor to be nearly frozen. I applied PB Blaster over a few days and freed that up, but I have not actually checked to see how free it is now. I will double check to see that it has not become stiff once again. If any of you have additional thoughts about what I might check, please feel free to share with me. Thanks much.

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:59 am

Whenever the carb is removed, you should synchronize the governor with the carb. The step-by-step procedure is set forth beginning at the bottom of page 28 in the Blue Ribbon Service Manual GSS-1132.

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:33 am

challenger wrote:Whenever the carb is removed, you should synchronize the governor with the carb. The step-by-step procedure is set forth beginning at the bottom of page 28 in the Blue Ribbon Service Manual GSS-1132.

Thats exactly.right. If you remove the carb for ANY reason, then you still have to readjust or check the linkages for adjustment when the carb is reinstalled. Also, as in my previous post, if the linkage even lightly brushes the engine block, it will cause the governor to lag and surge. I have seen people spend hours working on this and that only to find that was the problem (an easy fix)

PaulBernier 86662
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02840
Tractors Owned: 1949 cub "sexy-sadie", serial #86662, 189 moldboard plow, Mott, Brookfield Buzz saw, planet Jr.'s

Postby PaulBernier 86662 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:05 pm

I had the same problem with mine at first. Then I lubed all the linkage points from the carb, back to the governor. Problem solved.
1949 cub (sexy-sadie), 193 moldboard plow, w/notched colter, planet Jr's. By Paul

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:01 am

I sure did not know about the need for linkage adjustment upon removal of the carb and/or the manifold. I have read and printed out the referenced instructions and will give them a try in the next day or two. Thanks for all the informed assistance, folks. I will be reporting back.

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:09 pm

FOLLOW-UP I had some time with the Cub this morning. I read the above referenced governor adjustment information (thanks, Challenger) and verified that the linkage moved freely and was without any interference. I pushed the tractor outside prior to cranking. (Easy enough on level concrete pavement.) I decided to try using the hand crank for a change, as I had never started it this way before. Well, what do you know - it started with a couple of pulls! At first, it idled very smoothly, without any fluctuation of the governor, but as it warmed up, it started to go up and down slightly. After warm-up I adjusted the idle screw by turning it in nearly one rotation. That seemed to smooth out the surging, so I hopped up and drove around a bit, but I am still getting the uneven throttle response while under the load of driving. I ran out of time, so I did not do the linkage adjustment today. I may get to that tomorrow. I really do not want to pull off the governor and go into it. Hopefully, linkage adjustment will resolve the issue.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:35 pm

Stanley:

The idle screw .. should be turned in until it seats, then back it out 1-1/2 turns. That should be about perfect.

GSS-1132 - Fuel System

Then make sure that you lube the entire Governor Shaft Assembly

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”