This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carburetor differences??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Furious George
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23146
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Carburetor differences??

Postby Furious George » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:30 pm

I've searched around the forum a bit, but have not found an answer to this: (Chances are, I'm just not looking hard enough, so I apologize.), Is there a difference between a regular cub and lo-boy IH OEM carburetor? I'd like to replace the Zenith on my 1950 Cub with an IH type, but don't want to waste the money on the wrong one.
I only assume that they are the same, as the engines are alike. ? . But we all know what you can get when one assumes...

Thanks!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Re: Carburetor differences??

Postby RaymondDurban » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:56 pm

The older F-Cub and Loboy carbs are all basically the same (except for maybe jet and discharge tube sizes) up till around 1968, the with the Numbered Series, the carbs throats were opened up for more airflow. Then they all changed to the Zenith style in 1975.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:03 pm

This is the chart I always refer to. As Raymond said, the main jet and discharge sizes are different. A 15/32" venturi equates to .47" whereas the Zenith venturi at 15 mm equates to .59". Quite a bit of difference.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:43 pm

The 1970 parts book, lists the same part number for the IH carb for both cubs and lo-boys, so it does not appear that there was a different carb used between the two, just a later carb used on later models. The 1954 parts book only lists one part number for the complete carb (the same as the first column in the page in Bob's post). So, if you just want to go for a period correct look, either IH part number in Bob's post should be fine. However, if you are trying to appease the "correct police," you want the 251 234 R94.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:05 pm

Early F-Cub (1950) carb on left, 154 Loboy (1970) carb on right:
http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage.php?pos=-14814
http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage.php?pos=-14815

You can probably get away with either one, as long as you don't mix tops and bottoms and use the correct jet and discharge tube for the model of carb. If you use a numbered Loboy carb, you'll need to swap over the choke shaft.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:09 pm

Carb 364 579 R91 was used from engine 196900, about when the Lo-Boy came out in '55. Prior to that, there were some jet and discharge nozzle changes (and some other minor changes).

The 154s used a different version, not shown in the table above.

Furious George
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23146
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub

Postby Furious George » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:41 am

Thank you for the replies. I managed to pick one up fairly cheaply, but the rebuild kit from the IH dealer is 90 dollars! Way more than I paid for the carb! Think I'll stick with the Steiner kit and save a few pesos to restock the garage fridge.

Thanks again!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:51 am

The kits for the IH carbs is one place you really get what you pay for. Tear it down and check what you need before buying one. If you need throttle or choke shaft seals or a throttle shaft, get the IH one. If all you need is the gasket and float valve the Steiner is al right.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”