This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

spark plug wire placement

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jdhardingo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 59404

spark plug wire placement

Postby jdhardingo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:50 pm

I have a problem with the placement of the spark plug wire on my distributer. I'm not sure how they go. I know that the firing order is 1,2,4,3 but not sure how they go on the distributer. If one is on top then do they go clockwise or counter clockwise. The rotor goes clockwise.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: spark plug wire placement

Postby Former Member » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:02 pm

fireing order is 1-3-4-2

#1 on the cap is to the left right of the top spring clamp while looking at it.

Go clockwise

next is 3, then 4 then 2

plugs start at the front of the motor 1,2,3,4

edited for dislexia. lol
Last edited by Former Member on Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdhardingo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 59404

Postby jdhardingo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:13 pm

there is a spring clamp towards the motor and another towards the outside. there is a plug opening on top of the distributer is that one or two plug wire

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby lazyuniondriver » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:46 pm

The number one plug wire tower is normally the one on top and slightly away or towards you from the engine.. Normally.

Keep in mind you are working on a piece of equipment that is probably 50 or 60 years old and could have been worked on by someone who installed the distributor out of time. If that is the case, there is no telling which tower is actually number one because instead of re- installing the distributor in time, the wiring sequence was adjusted to correct the mistake.

To verify which cap tower is actually #1, remove sparkplug #1 closest to the radiator and hand crank the engine until #1 cylinder comes up on compression. The timing pointer will point at the notch on the pulley.

Remove the distributor cap and determine which cap tower the rotor is lined up with. Only then will you know the true number one distributor cap tower.

The remaining wires are installed in firing order clockwise around the cap.
Last edited by lazyuniondriver on Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:34 am

edit--
Dale Shaw wrote:#1 on the cap is to the left of the top spring clamp while looking at it

to the RIGHT--not Left

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:40 am

IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:16 am

I was always confused ... so when I finally got it ... I did this : How To Understand Firing Order
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:24 am

Visual training aids are like the adage "a picture is worth a thousand words"!

With YouTube and all the other sources of technical training available on the internet, technical education has come a long way.

Years ago I was working on a tractor that had a fireworks display going on under the hood in wet or damp weather... The plug wires were shot. This was a simple 4 cyl tractor so I pulled all the plug wires off with the cap and tossed them into the garbage can. The new cap went on then I routed the new wires in their proper sequence.

You guessed it, no start. If YouTube had been around and this was being filmed, you would have watched an hourlong presentation of me pulling my hair out trying to figure why I drove it in with crappy plug wires and now not even a pop.

About 45 min into the video which would include you seeing me hooking up the charger because I killed the battery, you would see me discover the distributor had at one time been removed and replaced 1/4 turn off.

For whatever reason this was not corrected and the plug wires were shifted one tower clockwise. Number one tower was now number 4 tower. No wonder it wouldn't even pop.

Learning from my mistake from then on before removing plug wires I always note which tower number one wire is is connected to.

Learn from my mistakes everybody, verify number one is actually number one. Don't trust distributor cap markings or position on equipment new to you.

As a side note, brand new equipment is not exempt from factory defects. A friend of mine who worked at an implement dealer found distributors mis aligned and the plug wires adjusted accordingly from the factory on brand new equipment. Imagine that.

Edited for left out word.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

PaulBernier 86662
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02840
Tractors Owned: 1949 cub "sexy-sadie", serial #86662, 189 moldboard plow, Mott, Brookfield Buzz saw, planet Jr.'s

Postby PaulBernier 86662 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi J, Of course the best way to replace the wires, is one at a time. But, on the off chance that the distributor and drive gear have been removed then replaced in the wrong position, you can always bring the engine up to Top Dead Center, TDC compression stroke. Have an assistant tap the starter briefly with the spark plugs out. With your thumb over the #1 spark plug hole, compression will blow by indicating it just went past TDC. At that point, back the motor up by hand until the pointer lines up with the line on the crank shaft pulley. This is where #1 will be at the distributor. From there You will be able to determine which one the rotor point is aiming at, and you can proceed clockwise with 1,3,2,4, from there.
1949 cub (sexy-sadie), 193 moldboard plow, w/notched colter, planet Jr's. By Paul

PaulBernier 86662
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02840
Tractors Owned: 1949 cub "sexy-sadie", serial #86662, 189 moldboard plow, Mott, Brookfield Buzz saw, planet Jr.'s

Postby PaulBernier 86662 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:49 pm

Correction, 1,3,4,2.
1949 cub (sexy-sadie), 193 moldboard plow, w/notched colter, planet Jr's. By Paul

Return to “Farmall Cub”