This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

throttle adjustment

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

throttle adjustment

Postby TJG » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:56 pm

I recently rebuilt a leaking carburetor (successful), but now I can't get the throttle adjusted. I've tried adjusting the idle screws on the carburetor, and also adjusting the linkage between the governor rockshaft and carburetor per the manual.

The tractor is at one RPM only, nearly full RPM's, with no control what so ever with the throttle rod. Please give suggestions as to my next step.

Thanks,

Todd

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: throttle adjustment

Postby cub47 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:06 pm

Todd, sounds like you may have an issue with the governor. If you have made all the proper connections at the carburetor with the control rod, etc. I would be looking further back on the line of things that can go wrong. Is the key way on the governor output shaft worn?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:10 pm

Although it's unlikely, check to make sure you don't have the throttle rod and choke rod reversed.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:17 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Although it's unlikely, check to make sure you don't have the throttle rod and choke rod reversed.
My first thought. Throttle and choke rods mixed up at carburetor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

mrdibs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19520
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
2007 Cub Cadet

Postby mrdibs » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:31 pm

Is the Woodruff key to the governor missing?

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:57 pm

Do this simple troubleshooting step:

Engine off, speed control all the way to the rear, curb idle position. Grasp the lever on the carb side of the tractor that is connected to the governor rockshaft and linked to the carb throttle plate. You should realize no movement in either direction.

Advance the speed control all the way forward to fast idle. Again, no movement in either the forward or backward direction should be realized.

Lastly, move the speed control lever to the center of its travel. Grasp the rockshaft lever and this time you should be able to move the lever forward closing the throttle plate.

When testing the lever for movement, don't do it with brute force, just attempt to move it gently, you will overcome the governor spring if you crank on it too hard defeating the purpose of this test.

If in either speed control lever position of fully forward or fully backward you are able to move the rockshaft, expect to find damaged or worn governor shaft linkage components.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJG » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:13 pm

Thanks for the responses and the governor does need to be looked at sometime given that it is very slow to respond. The above fix was a simple adjustment of the idle screw on the front of the carburetor.

Todd

Return to “Farmall Cub”