This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mag problem

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mrdibs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19520
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
2007 Cub Cadet

Mag problem

Postby mrdibs » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi,

Cub quit all of the sudden. Noticed weak spark. Pulled mag cleaned points and put a new coil I had just for giggles. When I went to put it back in I noticed the mag spins way too easy. Doesn't have that distinct snap when rotating. What broke and where do I get one? 300 for a rebuilt would stink. Any tips on getting it apart? Don't want to bust the shaft.

Thanks! Dibs

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Mag problem

Postby Rick Spivey » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:19 pm

Sounds like your impulse coupling isn't working correctly. There is a special puller for those, if you try and remove them with a standard gear puller, you will likely break the mounting plate. Hard to find a replacement at that point, don't ask how I know.

I rebuild these for forum members, at cost only, if interested. Special pullers can be found, possibly from Earl, or maybe John the Cub-Owner.....
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:34 pm

I am lost when it comes to magnetos. I usually wait until there is a CubFest where Rick and I both are attending. Then I hand it off to him and he graciously makes it look easy as he performs his magic and hands it back to me in perfect working order.

I suggest you get his address and take him up on his offer. You'll be glad you did.

Rick, thanks for your help at Stonethrow. Without that mag you did for me, that loboy may have been shoved to the back of BOB until I could do something with the distributor.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:51 pm

hello from the deep south mr. dibs. i can also say rick fixed me up right at stonesthrow. mags are a little "special", one of those few things on a cub that are best left to the pros. i have no qualms about recommending rick for honest advice and repair. i owe you one, rick.! coppersmythe................................ps: we had my daughter, mother, and mother-in-laws birthday party together today ( all within 4 days of each other) and had a mini-cub parade of 4 fine running machines. the mag rick fixed performed flawlessly. its a "hand crank" tractor too.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:09 pm

Don't forget, a magneto rotation is directional. it will trip going one way and not trip going the other way.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:56 am

one other thing that rick told me, one aspect of mags that i did not know. dont turn the shaft in the mag without the spark having somewhere to go. if you pull off the high tension wire that goes to the distributer cap , and "click" the mag, it can damage the coil. coppersmythe....................................

mrdibs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19520
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
2007 Cub Cadet

Postby mrdibs » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:59 am

Thanks guys! I will honor the advice and have the pro take a look (Rick).

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77355
eBay ID: czechiii
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub SN 54XXX (Captain Crunch)
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:08 am

I bought a rebuilt J4 Mag from Rick Spivey ....not only was it a good deal ...he is serious when he says he stands behind his work.....
Charles Patek III
Some days - Chicken.......Some days - Feathers
Words to live by....

Return to “Farmall Cub”