This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My First Cub Trouble, how to resolve

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
284wahoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28560
Tractors Owned: IH Super H
MF 175
MF 240
IH Cub (1970)

My First Cub Trouble, how to resolve

Postby 284wahoo » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:55 pm

My 1970 IH Cub arrived to it's new home for the first time last Saturday eve. With realatively low hours for it's age, and having been well cared for, this Cub showed no signs of mechanical problems before bringing it home. Other than starting it up to unload and move under the barn, it sat all week until yesterday before I ran it again. It started instantly and I drove it down the road a little ways, then back to the barn since it was very low on gas. I parked it, and shut off the engine. Added about a half tank of gas, and then the trouble started. I noted at that point that the carb was leaking a steady drop every second or so. I tried to start the engine and it would not hit a lick. I turned off the gas and the carb continued to leak. I went back and forth for about 10 or 15 minutes trying to start the engine and get the gas to stop leaking out. Eventually the carb stopped leaking gas on it's own. After that, I was able to start the engine. Next, I drove the Cub around another 15 minutes and returned it to the barn. Since then, I've noted no further leaking from the carb.

Q1. Any ideas what happend and how should I address it?
Q2. How many revolutions should I turn the gas cut-off valve when opening it up for normal operation?

Thanks, Harv

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: My First Cub Trouble, how to resolve

Postby tmays » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:00 pm

Where was carb leaking? Open the valve all the way(till it stops turning)
Thomas

56cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15057
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby 56cub » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:05 pm

Since the tractor was almost out of gas you probably stirred up some dirt that was in the tank when you added more gas. Then some dirt may have got stuck and wouldn't let the needle valve close all the way which would have caused the tractor to flood and gas to drip out.

I normally just turn the fuel valve all the way until it won't turn anymore to open and close it.

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:33 pm

Your 1970 Cub is in need of some 2012 maintenance. 42 years of crud and rust in the tank will continue to cause you a headache like you just experienced.

I would highly suggest starting at the top by draining and flushing the fuel tank to remove the foreign objects. Depending on the condition of the inside of the tank, it may need sealed.

Continue down to the fuel sediment bowl and strainer screen, throw away any previously owner added inline fuel filters, and finish the job off with a carb rebuild kit after thoroughly cleaning the carb and inlet screen.

With the above tasks accomplished, you should have another 42 years of trouble free service.

A word of advice would be to work on only one engine component system at a time to prevent double system failure. For example, don't replace the plug wires while you re-do the fuel system because if you can't get the tractor started, you will not know if it is s fuel problem or a mixed up plug wire problem.

Good luck!
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:33 am

tmays wrote:Where was carb leaking? Open the valve all the way(till it stops turning)

Like Thomas said, open the sediment bowl all of the way as most of them are back seated meaning they may leak from the stem if not opened fully.

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:36 am

Also, if your carburetor is adjusted properly and all components are functioning, the carburetor should not leak at all---regardless of whether or not the sediment bowl valve is open or closed. I would focus on your carburetor in this instance as others have said.

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:37 am

Even with the carb needle valve working correctly, I've seen seepage from the carb bowl gasket. They are about $5 at the dealer and can be swapped on the tractor.

I only open the gas valve 1/2 turn on both of my cubs. Never had any leakage past the stem and really easy to tell if the gas is on or off.....

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:04 pm

ntrenn wrote:Even with the carb needle valve working correctly, I've seen seepage from the carb bowl gasket. They are about $5 at the dealer and can be swapped on the tractor.

The float level height should maybe be checked then as a possible cause. Carb body warpage could be a result also. With all components adjusted and in good working order, the carburetor should not leak.

ntrenn wrote:I only open the gas valve 1/2 turn on both of my cubs. Never had any leakage past the stem and really easy to tell if the gas is on or off.....

Not all sediment bowl valves were backseated, so if you have one that is not, in that case it would not leak as you mentioned.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:34 pm

most likely trash under the needle valve in the carb, clean the bowl and screen install new rubber gasket and dont mess with the carb other than taking the jet out on the sideof the carb [3/8 wrench] and let some gas run through it after cleaning the bowl. Most likely that will solve the problem unless it leaks again. Then remove and rebuild the carb.

Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:23 pm

Be very careful not to break off the idle tube, don't ask how I know, LOL.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

284wahoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28560
Tractors Owned: IH Super H
MF 175
MF 240
IH Cub (1970)

Postby 284wahoo » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:38 am

Thanks to all of you folks for your comments and advice. I was out of town until today and just got to reading the threads. Regarding the suggestions of cleaning out the carb (bowl, screen, replace rubber gasket), is there a thread I can read to see which portions of the carb I disasemble to do this? The gas tank is very clean and rust free inside it, should I be seeing any sediment in the glass bowl otherwise?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:28 pm

This How To article should be helpful -- Lurker Carl's Cub Carb Fixes.

For the IH 3/4" Updraft here is the parts breakdown.

If you have a Zenith then here is the parts breakdown.

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:18 pm

284wahoo wrote: Regarding the suggestions of cleaning out the carb (bowl, screen, replace rubber gasket), is there a thread I can read to see which portions of the carb I disasemble to do this?

I believe that Boss Hog was talking about cleaning the bowl and screen and replacing the gasket for the sediment bowl (located under the gas tank).
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:15 pm

284wahoo wrote: is there a thread I can read to see which portions of the carb I disasemble to do this?

Which is why I posted the two pages and the link ...

Cleaning the sediment bowl assembly is a different thing entirely.

284wahoo wrote:The gas tank is very clean and rust free inside it, should I be seeing any sediment in the glass bowl otherwise?

If the gas tank is clean as a whistle then no, but real life isn't usually that easy. You may see stuff in the bowl, but that is what the sediment bowl is for - to collect sediment and crud and keep it out of the carb.

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”