This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Another Cub with Noisy Tranny

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
chickenfarmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12865
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub - "Edna"
*C-22 Sickle Bar
*Snowplow
*Bush Hog tow behind flail
Circle of Safety: Y

Another Cub with Noisy Tranny

Postby chickenfarmer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:53 pm

Hey guys,
Gonna do my best to describe my issue here. I have a 'clicking' noise coming from the housing under the shifter, or right in that area. First gear is the worst/most often, reverse is pretty much the same. It has done it in second as well but not very much and never heard it in third. It seems to only happen when under load or going uphill. The noise just started though so maybe it is getting worse and I just have not heard it in other situations. I hope I described it well enough for you all to start throwing ideas at me. I dont want to tear into it not knowing what I'm looking for and before hearing your opinions. Thanks guys. -Josh
"Whatever cranks your tractor."

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Re: Another Cub with Noisy Tranny

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:08 pm

Before you go too far.... make sure ALL the lug/wheel nuts are tight. Can make a noise that sure sounds like a mechanical problem.

Cecil's fest is just down the road in Kinderhook this weekend, come on down!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

chickenfarmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12865
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub - "Edna"
*C-22 Sickle Bar
*Snowplow
*Bush Hog tow behind flail
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby chickenfarmer » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:39 pm

Thanks Buzzard, I thought that was the problem too seeing as how I just changed a tire on the left side, but they are all still tight. It seems like the noise went away in 2nd gear but is almost always there while in 1st. I am going to check oil levels later today, any other tips? Thanks guys. -Josh
"Whatever cranks your tractor."

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:16 pm

It's always worthwhile to change the oil when you get a Cub. Tranny, steering gearbox,final drives and air filter.

Depending on how it was used, noise in some gears is pretty common. The oil that is in it will tell a lot. A search on noisy transmissions will give you a good idea of what others have done.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”