This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO bearing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

PTO bearing

Postby TJG » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:53 pm

Is there a trick to removing the PTO bearing in the rear plate? Does the oil seal need to be destroyed, or can the bearing be removed towards the front of the tractor instead of the rear?

As long as I'm asking, are there any replacement hints for putting the new bearing in, and is it a common bearing that I can pick up in town at the local bearing and drive shop?

Thanks,

Todd

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: PTO bearing

Postby cub47 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:04 pm

Your bearing may be staked on if it is on an early cub, otherwise it is held on with a snap ring, here are some instructions:

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%2 ... 06A-07.jpg

The IH part number is ST225B. Or take the original bearing to NAPA and they will cross the reference numbers stamped on it.

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJG » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:56 pm

Thanks CubGuy. The manual isn't much help to know if I need to have the bearing pressed on and off, or if I can get it off without a press. The manual states to remove the oil seal, but I'm not sure I can do that without ruining the seal. This tractor is a 1948.

Todd

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:22 pm

The seal likely needs replaced anyway.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:59 pm

TJG wrote:Thanks CubGuy. The manual isn't much help to know if I need to have the bearing pressed on and off, or if I can get it off without a press. The manual states to remove the oil seal, but I'm not sure I can do that without ruining the seal. This tractor is a 1948.

Todd

Todd, yes you can press it inward and remove it without damaging the oil seal but like Don mentioned, while you are at it, I would replace that seal also.

Since you have a 1948 model, I would bet your PTO bearing is staked onto the PTO shaft---which means no snap ring.

One other note, don't confuse the grease shield snap ring with the bearing retainer snap ring (or staked on in your case possibly).

If you do not have a hydraulic press to remove and install parts, take it to a local machine shop or NAPA store and they should be able to do it for you.

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:44 pm

I like replacing it with a sealed bearing. Keep it simple

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJG » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:06 pm

When I pulled on the mower pulley the entire PTO shaft came out to my surprise. So, I had to drain the transmission to retrieve the clutch and set screw. The bearing and oil seal seem to be stuck in the back cover.

There is a slight amount of wear on both sides of the shifter pin. Would you go ahead and replace it also?

Should the pilot bushing look brass color? I don't see any brass in the inner shaft.

Todd

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:14 pm

TJG wrote:When I pulled on the mower pulley the entire PTO shaft came out to my surprise. So, I had to drain the transmission to retrieve the clutch and set screw. The bearing and oil seal seem to be stuck in the back cover.

Is there a groove on the shaft for a snap ring? If not, your bearing is to be staked on when reinstalled. That bearing can be pressed out, remove the oil seal first.

TJG wrote:There is a slight amount of wear on both sides of the shifter pin. Would you go ahead and replace it also?

Replace it. Contact TM or if you want any good used ones, I have several in stock

TJG wrote:Should the pilot bushing look brass color? I don't see any brass in the inner shaft.

Bronze or brass in color, if there is no bushing in the end of the drive shaft, install a new one.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:12 am

That bearing is a pretty common one, SKF 6205-J would be a good replacement. It may be worthwhile to consider a sealed bearing too, 6205-2rs. More drag (from the seals) but you can eliminate greasing it (or OVER greasing it, makes a mess of the differential case). The seal would be less critical then, but should still be replaced. Don't get a 'cheap' bearing!

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/pt/155fp.htm
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”