This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Black Snow Flakes from the Muffler

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ArtN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35111

Black Snow Flakes from the Muffler

Postby ArtN » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:10 pm

Just brought my cub back from the garden place I had it for the summer, cleaned her up and little wax to get her ready for the winter. Started it a little while ago to move it and I noticed little black snow flakes coming out of the muffler. It seems to happen on start up when you have the choke 1/2 to full. Which is usually the way I start it up unless I have a warm engine. It goes away once you run it enought to take the choke off, but fine the whole time, no miss fire, etc., I don't guess it is anything to worry about except it stains my paint job.....Is this normal? Carb adjustments needed? It is old like I am? Advice?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Black Snow Flakes from the Muffler

Postby lazyuniondriver » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:24 pm

While you were transporting it, the stack was probably jarred causing carbon coated flakes of rust to break loose and be blown out when you started it for the first time. If it clears up soon or already has cleared up and it is running well enough for your satisfaction, don't touch a thing.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

mrdibs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19520
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
2007 Cub Cadet

Postby mrdibs » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:29 pm

I had something similar happen before I did my restoration. Never really figured it out, but when I took the intake apart during the restoration it was full of debris from sitting without the cap.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Hengy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:31 pm

Sounds like it is running rich and depositing carbon on the exhaust. In this cooler weather, condensation likes to build up on the stack pipes and it "boils" off on startup. Sounds like the water is loosening the carbon and carrying it out of the stack. Then it showers down on the hood, your clothes, face, and any other exposed part. Try starting without the choke and see if it will start.

Otherwise, it might just "be that way"...
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Return to “Farmall Cub”