This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Motor Stuck

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Motor Stuck

Postby Eugene » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:52 pm

mrdibs wrote:So, can I just replace the piston?
You could and everything would probably be fine. But if this were my engine I would freshen it up. Depending on measurements, minimum would be rering, lap valves, new rod and main bearings.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:27 pm

Just out of curiosity, were you able to determine what the debris was composed of?
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:37 pm

lazyuniondriver wrote:Just out of curiosity, were you able to determine what the debris was composed of?

Wondering that myself, why would a new built engine have debris like this ?
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Check the head for damage. What ever knocked a hole in the piston probably did just as much damage to the head.

What is the history on this engine?
I have an excuse. CRS.

mrdibs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19520
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
2007 Cub Cadet

Postby mrdibs » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:30 am

I didn't find any damage to the head. Debris seemed to be just part of the piston. I did not replaced the pistons and one of them was seized when I started. Could be I damaged it while freeing and it just now caught up with me. I guess the debris was what got it stuck, because once the head was off, I was able to turn the motor by hand. I guess the good news is that this all happened on a cold engine at idle. Otherwise I'd certainly have cracked the head or worse. I'm too poor this winter for 4 new pistons, so I'm going to replace the one for now and do the rest in the Spring I guess.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:57 pm

There was probably enough debris piled up to stop the piston just shy of TDC. That's why you couldn't budge it until the head was off.

mrdibs
10+ Years
10+ Years
2007 Cub Cadet

Postby mrdibs » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:41 am

Well I found a used piston and installed it during Sandy. Engine running again, but it does puff a bit of smoke when I goose it. Probably more than usual, but I need to work the tractor before the snow flies so it is what it is. Visual inspection of cylinders revealed no damage. Head is ok and I used a new gasket. To the horror of some, I'm sure, I transplanted the rings which were only one season old and seemed fine. But I did use a new rod bearing. I'm probably due for a bore and new valves, but I'm tempted just to run it till it won't, then worry about it. Thanks for the help everyone. How I ended up with a hole in my piston remains an unsolved mystery. Tonight I plan to pull the plugs before starting again, just to make sure I'm not getting water in the cylinders.

skylor60
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17370

Postby skylor60 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:03 am

What did the spark plug look like in that cylinder?

mrdibs
10+ Years
10+ Years
2007 Cub Cadet

Postby mrdibs » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:59 pm

skylor60 wrote:What did the spark plug look like in that cylinder?

Same as the others. A little black - gap was fine. Carbon buildup was minimal. The engine was seized when I originally started working on it many years ago. Very possible I damaged the piston while freeing it up, but got away with it for almost an entire season. Really it should have been #4 because that's the one I had to smack the hardest, but I probably hit #3 too. Years of mistreatement and overheating may have contributed to weakness in the metal. If I find a new set of pistons I can afford, I'll replace them all - maybe bore it too.

Return to “Farmall Cub”