This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub hydrauic fluid?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
smack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub hydrauic fluid?

Postby smack » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Is there a fluid available at Tractor Supply company that will serve as the IH TOUCH CONTROL FLUID that the owners manual dictates? I want to ensure to use the right stuff...hopefully Tractor Supply has a good alternative. Thank you all.
1950 Cub - Daisy, 1959 Cub - Peggy Sue

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Cub hydrauic fluid?

Postby cub47 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:45 pm

They will have suitable and compatible fluids in stock, look on the container label as it will be marked as CASE/IH Hytran compatible.

smack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Cub hydrauic fluid? follow up

Postby smack » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:05 pm

Thank you CubGuy. I stopped by Tractor Supply before reading your reply - I bought Traveler Hydraulic Fluid - ISO 40 for $20.00. They had another premium brand ISO 68 for $40.00 for a two gallon container. I just checked the container of the Traveler and it makes NO mention of compatability wih any tractors - just says for industrial hydraulic systems. I'll stop there tomorrow and check what the other container says. Should I NOT use something unless it lists specific tractor hydraulic systems compatability?? Thanks!

Arthur Luke
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 74022
Tractors Owned: 8 F Cubs, 7 Lo-Boys, 2 # LoBoys, 1 CC, 1 H, 1 other
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Arthur Luke » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:31 pm

Have a good day, Art Image
Circle of Safety

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:47 pm

Hi Tran is about 20 bucks a gal at any Case/IH dealer
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

smack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Cub hydrauic fluid - thank you

Postby smack » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:13 am

Thank you guys for the clarification - seems I indeed bought the wrong item yesterday. They did not have the recommended Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid on the shelf - hopefully some out back!

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:20 am

Napa also has the fluid in stock and it says right on the container that it can replace Hytran.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:20 am

I agree with Boss on this one. When possible as in having a CaseIH dealer within close proximity, it is best to use Hy-Tran or Hy-Tran Ultra. I always used Hy-Tran, cost is comparable to many others except at places like TSC , Wally World etc. Since I have completed my splitter project and the splitter must be available to use on either my Cub or my brother-in-law Ray's Massey 1040 I now use Perma Tran - which actually exceeds Hy-Tran specs. Since my Cub will only use slightly less than 2 gallons and the Massey will use somewhere around 10 gallons, it makes sense to use the same fluids. I did a fair amount of research before I switched.

There is a reason why IH developed Hy-Tran to replace the 10wt oil they used originally. Also the other fluids out there did not from what I understand impress IH so they developed their own.

The above is JIMHO.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Re: Cub hydrauic fluid? follow up

Postby ricky racer » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:37 pm

smack wrote:Thank you CubGuy. I stopped by Tractor Supply before reading your reply - I bought Traveler Hydraulic Fluid - ISO 40 for $20.00. They had another premium brand ISO 68 for $40.00 for a two gallon container. I just checked the container of the Traveler and it makes NO mention of compatability wih any tractors - just says for industrial hydraulic systems. I'll stop there tomorrow and check what the other container says. Should I NOT use something unless it lists specific tractor hydraulic systems compatability?? Thanks!

The main difference between industrial and AG based hydraulic fluids is industrial hyd. fluids do not have pour point additives added to them. The pour point additives are additives that are added to hydraulic oil that will be used in colder climates to reduce wear and improve flow until the system is warmed up. Industrial oils are typically used in a fairly constant indoors ambient environment.

I don't know that much about oils but I had a Lunch & Learn with an Exxon Mobil representative on Friday and we discussed this very issue.
Last edited by ricky racer on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:31 pm

Rudi wrote:There is a reason why IH developed Hy-Tran to replace the 10wt oil they used originally. Also the other fluids out there did not from what I understand impress IH so they developed their own.

I think they call it---Marketing :big afro:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:59 pm

Case Akcela

HyTran Ultra Tractor Fluid

HyTran Ultra Tractor Fluid (MS-1209)
A unique all-weather hydraulic/transmission fluid

HyTran Ultra is designed to handle transmission, wet brake, and hydraulic systems. HyTran Ultra will enhance your brake and clutch capabilities, while helping to reduce brake chatter, clutch slippage and wear, and final drive wear. HyTran Ultra fluid is designed for use in ambient temperatures of –20F (-30C) to 120F (50C).
Specifically designed to provide better water tolerance and filtration efficiency than typical anti-wear hydraulic fluids. Water tolerance is crucial for preventing additive drop-out, filter plugging, and sluggish performance.
Blended to provide the stable viscosity essential to maintaining optimum machine performance and long-life.
Superior wear protection for hydraulic components, drive train gears and other transmission parts.
Controlled frictional characteristics provide smooth operation of wet brakes and clutches. Special non-zinc additives ensure a thermally and hydrolytically stable product, keep the system free of deposits, and prevent the creation of corrosive by-products.
Meets the frictional requirements of Caterpillar TO-2 and Allison C-3, as well as all performance requirements of the former International Harvester B-6 specification.
Thoroughly tested and approved by CNH engineering. Meets Case specification MS-1209.

A very informative site, one I go to often when I have research to do on lubricants.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:11 pm

Any ideas on how to reclaim new Hy-Train that has leaked out of the original container? I have it contained in a wash basin, but want to know if it can be filtered, or should I just find another use for it?
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:54 pm

Yep Boss, Bill Hudson grabbed some Hy Tran for me from Columbia Tractor and it was $22 with tax. In my opinion it is worth finding or worth Bill having to go back to the store to fetch for me :D.

All the later manuals list it FIRST for transmission, final drives and even the right angle pulley. A gallon will fill the TC and transmission.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:25 am

danovercash wrote:Any ideas on how to reclaim new Hy-Train that has leaked out of the original container? I have it contained in a wash basin, but want to know if it can be filtered, or should I just find another use for it?

Dan:

I would use a paper cone filter that is used for finishing. You can get them at Lowe's, Home Depot and of course Auto Finishing Supply houses. They are fine enough to remove any particulates that may have infiltrated the Hy-Tran.

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743

Postby DanR » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:13 am

I too went to TSC yesterday to read the labels. Only one, Universal Tractor, even mentioned IH or High-Tran.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

Return to “Farmall Cub”