This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Seat time and shop power

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
k9sicem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 52002
Tractors Owned: 1960 LoBoy named "Verona"
1930 Ford Model A street rod named "Half Fast"
1939 Chevy 1/2 ton truck named "Stella"
1954 Chevy 1/2 ton truck named "Ester"
Circle of Safety: Y

Seat time and shop power

Postby k9sicem » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:05 am

A big event happened this week end at my house. It was time to get power to the new shop. The electrician came to put in the wire and get power to my new shop. They trenched 125 foot from the house to the shop.

They were going to hand fill the trench. That’s where the Cub comes in to play. They took $ 100.00 off my bill if I filled it in myself. While I was filling in the trench they made all the connections in the house and in the shop.

After they watched me for a couple of minute they asked to drive the Cub. I had to tell them "No" because the last time I let my neighbor drive my Cub it came home damaged.

After I had finished they asked to buy my Cub. It would have fit on their trailer behind the trencher. We could not agree on a price. They made a fair offer but I have too much in the hydraulics and it’s the hydraulics and plow that make this work so well. I offered one of my other Cubs but they wanted the one I used. I told them there are alot of good Cubs out there and they could make one to suit their needs.

Here is the first half of my shop with lights and power, I’ll do the other half tonight. I found a person that had 16 eight foot lights for 8 dollars each, most had working bulbs so I took them all. This shop will be bright if needed. The chair is there in case I need a nap. And while they were at it, I ran cable TV and internet to the shop. The big white thing next to the long stripe Cub is a powder coating oven I am making out of an old freezer and the pellet furnce that will heat the shop is behind that. I made the shop long enought to fit my fork lift and two Cubs front to rear.

"Always start out the way you want to end up"
Grandpa Franke

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: Seat time and shop power

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:47 am

Looking good, I'm jealous.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:55 am

I bet it even smells good in there (fresh concrete and lumber)! :wink: Great deal on the light fixtures. Looks like it's working out well for you!!
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

rogerk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27021
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub

Postby rogerk » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:43 pm

looks very nice you will have a first class shop when completed :applause:

Pabst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44333
Tractors Owned: Farmall cub 56-Spartacus
International cub 76
Cub L-F 194 Plow
Cub F38 Disk Harrow
Cub L-F1 Platform Carrier
Cub 54 Leveling Blade

Postby Pabst » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:34 pm

Nice shop! :D

Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader

Postby Bezirk » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:41 pm

Very nice shop.
Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

Chris D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23027

Postby Chris D » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:59 pm

Great looking shop with lots of space! They fill up fast. One tip, before ya throw out the grass seed where the trench was I would mound up the dirt right over the trench line about 6 inches high. It's going to settle some with rain. It's better to mound it up a little now and just have a little hill to massage later than to have to tear up a bigger area later to steal the dirt back. Another option though would be to just top it off with bagged dirt after it settles down.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:05 pm

That is going to be one heck of a nice shop/man cave when you are all done. Will you insulate it? I like how you were able to grade the trench with the Cub. It is amazing how many folks get a bit of Cub fever when they see one doing it's thing, especially if it has the hydraulic upgrades. Well worth the money invested methinks.

Also got question. Why would you feed the shop from the house? Is it a 100 amp service or 30 amp. One of the things I am thankful for is that my cabinet shop has power directly from the power company - I thought about feeding from the house but it would just overload the house unless I upgraded to a 200 amp panel or larger. So I have a 125 amp panel in the shop and a - 60 amp sub panel in the pole barn. For the welder it is important to have the sub panel. Course this is JIMHO.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJG » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:47 am

Very nice looking.

Todd

k9sicem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 52002
Tractors Owned: 1960 LoBoy named "Verona"
1930 Ford Model A street rod named "Half Fast"
1939 Chevy 1/2 ton truck named "Stella"
1954 Chevy 1/2 ton truck named "Ester"

Postby k9sicem » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:24 am

I have all the insulation to complete the shop. This Wednesday I am going to an auction that has five pallets of plywood. I hope to get enough for the walls and maybe the ceiling. I have 200 amp service in my home. I ran 100 amps out to the shop. I am putting in double outlets every sixth stud and two 220 outlets per wall. The power company wanted to charge me almost triple to run the power to my shop and $ 15.00 a month just for the extra meter. The power company and myself are at odds as of late. To make a long story short, they were working on my house and switched the wires around and run 220 threw the ground. It blow almost everything in my home that was plugged into a socket. It filled my basement with smoke so when I got home I call the power company. While I was outside and waiting for them and an electrician, I reached down to water my wife's flowers and........Bam... it knocked me on my butt. It took a week before I could move normally. I felt like a NFL linebacker beat me up.
"Always start out the way you want to end up"
Grandpa Franke

Chris D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23027

Postby Chris D » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:44 am

Sounds like somebody's carelessness could have cost a life! I'd be looking for some serious coin from them for damages!

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:17 am

I had 200 amp service run directly to my shop from the street. The only cost I incurred was the material to install the panel and wiring. That would have been needed even if I ran it from the house. I also ran a 100 amp sub panel from the shop to the barn. This way I don't have to worry about robbing power from the house. Duke Energy didn't charge any extra for a thing. The only extra charge would be a minimum use charge if nothing was used for the month, but I exceed that each month anyway,

Of course I saved money by having Rosie dig the trench for me.

The only time she stopped was when she went to get me another beverage. It was hot sitting in the shade watching her work.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Mr Ziffel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20106
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub with 193 plow, snow plow. Woods 59 mower. unknown disk, John Deere spring-tooth harrow, 2009 New Holland T1510, Massey Ferguson Mod 25 Disc (I think)

Postby Mr Ziffel » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:23 am

When I was a kid, I was helping out an old farmer. I went out behind the barn and was doing my business when I whiz :censored: zed on an electric fence wire hidden by tall grass. I can not compare it to the jolt you got though. Glad you are OK .

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:38 pm

Scott:

I understand your desire to not deal with the local power company with the experiences you have just had. Not nice...at all :( Up here it costs me about $23.00/month for the meter at the shop which includes so much power usage. I usually exceed that and my bill is around $40.00/month. The house runs about $200.00/month.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”