This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Value of a demonstrator cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
FarmallDavid
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65803

Value of a demonstrator cub

Postby FarmallDavid » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:03 pm

I have a question. I found a 1950 demonstrator that was white under red but was recently sand blasted and painted red. What will that do to the value?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Value of a demonstrator cub

Postby TJG » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:52 pm

The tractor is still a 1950 cub with whatever attachments and options present. It still has the same blemishes or strengths no matter what the color. From that standpoint it is worth the same as a similar cub of any other year.

From a collectors standpoint, if (big if) there are many pictures documenting the white paint, casting code numbers, serial tag...and they line up within the recognized serial number series of the 1950 demonstrators, then the new red paint job should not change any collector value at all. Recognize that not all 1950's in the demo range were painted white.

Todd

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:57 pm

You will get a lot of opinions on this topic, by my two cents is that without any original white paint intact on the tractor, in my opinion, the value decreases, I don't feel that a demonstrator is merely just the proper date codes of either an "S" or "T" or falling within the proper serial number range. There were apparent "demonstrators" that fell within the proper serial number range that did not have any original white paint on them from the factory.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:31 pm

worth about the same as a 55 cub as far as I am concerned and less with no paper work with it
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:41 pm

so many of them out there, and so many that were not originally white, and so many that have them that wish they were red- cause they can't keep them white with the leaks and drippy seals.

Once the white paint is stained, you get to repaint or leave it stained.

Why bother.

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:05 pm

Dale Shaw wrote:Once the white paint is stained, you get to repaint or leave it stained.

Why bother.

If the necessary seals and gaskets are replaced as needed--and it is done correctly--you shouldn't have any leaks, regardless of paint color.

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:12 pm

cubguy47 wrote:If the necessary seals and gaskets are replaced as needed--and it is done correctly--you shouldn't have any leaks, regardless of paint color.

No arguments, just stating facts. If you use it, it will leak. If you don't use it, why have it?

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:45 pm

Is the tractor yours now? Did you see the tractor before it was painted? Any pictures?

The value may have taken a hit, but a nice tractor is a nice tractor, no matter what color or year. Post (or PM me) the SN's, both tractor and engine and I may be able to tell you if it's legit. Also, all the cast codes must match up and show that major parts haven't been changed, as this will reduce value if its a true demo.

I agree with Cubguy47, if the gaskets and seals have been changed and done correctly, thre should be no leaks.

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:56 am

Boss Hog wrote:worth about the same as a 55 cub as far as I am concerned and less with no paper work with it

I'm going to call your hand on this one Boss man. A 55 cub with a multi bar grill, hood with no oil holes for the generator plus all those pretty letters down the sides. Heck, it might even have a fast hitch on there... :roll: I'll take that 55 over the Demo any day. :wink: :{_}:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:02 pm

Can't wait to get my '55 spiffed up...
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:24 pm

i got a 55 and a few demo's. :)

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:41 pm

John(videodoc) wrote:i got a 55 and a few demo's. :)

Do you use them, and do any of them leak?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:48 pm

I had a '55 - an Ohiah Cub - his name was Jed. He lives at Ed's house on a shelf I think .... Scotty isn't able to work on it now because of his AF duties. I do want another one at some point but would get a '54 first.

I know John ain't gonna like it much ... but this is JIMHO.

As for the Demo question. You would have to have photographic documentation, bill of sale indicating the white paint scheme or have some part of the Cub with white still present. Serial #'s mean nada, it is just the accepted range that demo's were pulled off the line and painted white. As far as the worth, not worth a penny more than any Cub in the same condition.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:36 pm

Rudi wrote:... Serial #'s mean nada, it is just the accepted range that demo's were pulled off the line and painted white. ...

Well, yes and no. I believe there was a definate production change concerning the paint during the first three months of '50, three of them in fact. From the info sent to me in a PM, the Cub in question rolled of the line the first week of Feb, and it also happens to fall within the first white run from IH from the info I have gathered.

Before this thread dives into a "there are no records, you have no proof, this is heresy!!" comments, I'll be the first to admit that I haven't seen any secret IH production documents, but I have gathered records from this site and many others to put together enough data to establish a pretty firm pattern with the paint colors during this period.
Others on this site have seen what I have put together, and I personally have a high level of faith that its accurate within +/- a few SN's.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:45 pm

Raymond:

You are correct and we all know that you are tracking this data, and we know that there are a number of very knowledgeable folks here that helped compile that issue. What I meant by the comment was that just because if falls within the demo range does not mean it is a demo but that it could be if other proof such as white paint is there.

If indeed this Cub is within that product batch lot then I would say ... hey it may very well be (it was white .... ) so he could repaint it if he wished. I just don't believe that demo's are worth more - except if they have the full Mid Century Campaign decals and placards. Then it is worth more. Now one that I know of is worth a passell cause it is a dually demo built from 2 sequentially numbered proven demo's. I just don't know what something like that is worth. I think you have the SN's for that demo.

Might mean some more reading in the WHS Archives when the snow falls.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”