This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Noisy Transmission gears 1949 Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
yo.dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97051
eBay ID: 521burnout
Tractors Owned: 1960 Farmall Cub

Re: Noisy Transmission gears 1949 Cub

Postby yo.dave » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi
I have just got a 1960 Farmall Cub home that has a front loader on it. Doesn't tun very good so I want to get the engine starting and running smooth and then tackle a bunch of other problems including oil leaks, governor stuck on high and a noisy transmission (when traveling in gear and the Rockford Clutch (either worn out or needs adjustment).

ArtC mentioned that
"to clarify the Cub Cadet transmissions further, any gear drive cast iron Cub Cadet transmission will function as a doner. original, 70's 100's 120's, 140's. some of the 70's and 10X's had a wet brake system that used an extended countershaft. that shaft can be shortened, or a suitable grease retainer fashioned as i don't believe it will interfere with the torque tube.

Now what I am wondering about---is he talking about automatic transmissions for donor gears or manual transmission? I intend to shop for one to have as part of my spare parts bin.

This is definitely a cool machine - Red with a Yellow loader. I am in love for sure. Post pictures soon.

Thanks in advance for the reply.

dave

PS - My Cub is hooked up Negative ground. From what I've read this should be positive - correct?
David
St. Helens Oregon

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby danovercash » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:03 pm

Depends on if 6V or has been changed to 12V or otherwise messed with.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:26 pm

artc wrote:... any gear drive cast iron Cub Cadet transmission will function as a doner. ...

Yes, Dave, Art is talking about the manual transmission. Got some of those puppies in my my parts bin. :)

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

yo.dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97051
eBay ID: 521burnout
Tractors Owned: 1960 Farmall Cub

Postby yo.dave » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:34 am

Thanks danovercash
My tractor is 6 volt and so I guess I'll be changing that to +ground today.

And thanks Bill for the info on the tranny. I may be in contact later when I discover what's up.

david
David
St. Helens Oregon

Return to “Farmall Cub”