Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Moderator: Team Cub
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
14 posts • Page 1 of 1
I find myself cleaning the gunk out of the distributor cap a couple of times a year due to poor performance. A little ether and a dremel with a small brush and she's ready to go again. Is it due to the fact that I use it only for an hour and park it for a week at a time? I've read where some have drilled a second hole in the cap, but I wonder whether I need a hole at all, or if it would be made worse. She never sits outside. (I admit the old barn leaks some, but we had a drought) The cap fits really tight into the distributor.
Or is it the nature of the beast?
Any suggestions would be appreciated,
My old cap had two holes in it.The new one has one hole.I haven't had a moisture problem and my barn has a dirt floor with plenty of rain around here.One of the more experienced guys will holler at you soon about your problem. Good luck
Stan, I would not add a second hole if it was me. Are you getting a condensation or oxidation buildup on the towers? Some type of carbon residue? Your limited use shouldn't be causing that, if anything it should prolong the life of the cap. When was the last time you did a complete tuneup? Cleanup will periodically be needed but I have not encountered that issue multiple times over the span of a year.
The cap was the one on it when I got it two years ago. All I've done is new points/cond/plugs. It gets condensation in the lower part of the cap and white growth on the posts. The wires need replaced, so I may just do a new cap/rotor at the same time.
Stan, I would replace the distributor cap, rotor, and plug wires like you mentioned. I am surprised that much moisture is building up inside, I have never really encountered that issue.
Stan, I think your white corrosion build up is caused by your plug wires. I find many times where the wire is not fully inserted into the tower of the cap. Of course the boot on the wire hides the problem. Anyway, this will cause arcing at the tower and high voltage build up through the entire secondary ignition system. Bad coil wire or plug wires will do the same exact thing. I would do exactly as Cubguy suggested and be very careful when inserting the new plug wires to made sure they are fully seated in their towers.
A set of new connectors may help...see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73532
My 1945 Farmall H makeover
I was intending to replace the wires anyhow, as I have never liked graphite wires and the straight connectors at the cap are another boo boo in my opinion. I'll get the angled ones on both ends. (and real wire) Thanks for the assistance..
This one started right up and drove in under its own power after pressure washing, never missing a beat.
If the owner claims hard starting when its damp with all new tune up parts, he'll get his old cap back.
These were good size holes. Maybe more is better.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"
I think you are correct, Bus Driver. The mud daubers would have hay day with that cap around here too.
Stan, You may find that your Cub sounds and runs better with solid copper core wires, mine did.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
I'm sure it will, Bob, Thanks.
One of my former employers used to buy the ignition wire (copper) by the spool, and was equipped with every imaginable end and boot. (with the crimpers as well)
Would be nice to be able to access that stuff again. (back in the '70's when there was still alot of construction equipment that had gas engines) Hercules, Continental, Wisconsin, Waukesha and etc. You can't normally go to your NAPA to get alot of those consumables. I remember cabinets full of points. condensers, caps, rotors for nearly everything we used. (I miss that valve grinder too, but that's another story) Oh well, alot of water under that bridge..
I had a moisture problem until I added a second drilled hole the same size as the one in the cap already. It is lodcated apporx 20 degrees from the orginal hile and still on the bottom side. Added the 2nd hole and no more moisture problem. The moisture caused the tractor to stop until I blew air into the distributor and cap to clear the moisture problem. For what it is worth....... Bill
14 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online