This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Leaking Gas Cap

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
steveTN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38068
Tractors Owned: Ford 3600
Farmall Cub

Leaking Gas Cap

Postby steveTN » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:49 am

So after I got things back together and was out playing ( I mean working ), I notice when rolling over rough terrain that I was getting a leak around the gas cap. The gasket was in pretty rough shape so went to the TM site to order a gasket or cap when I came across the cap recall. So fill out the form and got the new cap. Still had the same issue. Top the tank looks fine. So then took the new gasket from the new cap and put on the old cap and bent the tabs down a bit. Now seems to fit snug and no gas leaking. Has anyone else ran into this. I'm think I should probably go back and bend the tabs down on the new cap and try again.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Leaking Gas Cap

Postby Barnyard » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:52 am

Steve, the edge of the tank itself can get slightly deformed causing gas to leak. There was a tool the dealers used to reform these. Some members have these tools and they are available for use at some CubFests.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:24 pm

I too have had to add a second gasket to stop a leaking tank. That seemed to do the trick for me.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:55 pm

Steve, If you will be at a Cubfest next year, inquire beforehand about someone bringing the gas tank lip reforming tool. You'd need to bring your tank (or the whole Cub), but I'd bet that would eliminate the problem you've been having.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:58 pm

There will be one present at DSCF in February.

:{_}:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

steveTN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38068
Tractors Owned: Ford 3600
Farmall Cub

Postby steveTN » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:01 pm

I'm afraid I'm not to the point of traveling with my cub i.e. a trailer etc., but I bet it would be a blast. By bending the cap tabs a bit and using the new gasket, I don't seem to have a issue anymore, but was curious what others had tried. Was not aware that the tank would do that, but after thinking, it makes sense. After looking online I found some diagrams of how that reforming tool works. There's a couple of old timers around here (well a little bit older than me anyway), so I'm going to check to see if they maybe have something they used like that. Thx. for the responses.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:56 pm

If the tank lip has been straightened but you're still having issues, check for clearance around the bottom edge of the cap skirt and the top of the tank. The skirt of new style gas cap often contacts the top of the fuel tank. That keeps the cap from sealing properly and gouges the paint around the filler neck. It can be fixed by shaving about 1/8 inch off the skirt of the new cap. Larger Farmall tractors have taller filler necks so the problem only shows up on Cubs.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Return to “Farmall Cub”