This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

losing power

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Greg
10+ Years
10+ Years

losing power

Postby Greg » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:02 am

Hello all, this forum was of great help when I rebuilt my 1950 Cub many yrs ago. I am now having a problem. After running for about 15minutes, it loses power and surges; not really like a miss. If I pull out the choke, the rpm increase and I can get back to the garage, but still not enough power to run my belly mower. I have a theory, but would like your ideas without my idea causing bias. The fuel flow appears to be ok (I have an in-line filter and can see fuel moving-? if enough??).

thanks for any and all ideas on how to troubleshoot this.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: losing power

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:12 am

If you pull out the choke and performance improves, your problem is fuel flow related. Remove and thoroughly clean the main metering jet. It is the hex shaped brass fitting shown in the photo below. Be careful removing it, as they do break sometimes.

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:14 am

Coil and or condenser.

Surging usually indicates a fuel flow or carburetion problem. However, the surging should show up shortly after the engine is started. The 15 minute run time before the problem shows up is typical of an ignition coil breaking down.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:59 am

The delay in the onset of symptoms may be related to a tank venting problem. Air must enter the fuel tank to replace the fuel as it is being used from the tank. Otherwise the tank experiences an increasing vacuum. But tank venting is not the most frequent cause of problems.
Luck favors those who are prepared

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:43 pm

I have that issue fairly regularly. Shut off the fuel. Drain the float bowl through the bottom plug. Pull the brass plug and blow out the main jet, and put her all back together. Fuel on and get back to mowing. Never have found the cause, but it has fixed the issue every time. Most of the floaties that will cause your issue you won't see anyway.

Greg
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Greg » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:24 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I believe i loosened the fuel cap once, don't recall it helping. I will clean the jet and see what if that helps. Any possibility it could be a manifold (vaccuum) leak that only occurs when hot? If so, what is best way to track that down?

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:49 pm

Greg wrote: Any possibility it could be a manifold (vaccuum) what is best way to track that down?

I prefer to waft a little propane from a hand held torch in the area of the suspected leak.

I remove the torch head or fit a hose over it directing the gas from the other end of the hose to where its needed. Crack open the valve slightly and listen for an increase in RPM indicating propane is being inhaled from someplace other than the carb inlet. It is best to leave the air filter connected while doing this test.

Avoid the urge to use ether or any type of starting fluid.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:14 pm

Greg wrote:Any possibility it could be a manifold (vacuum) leak that only occurs when hot?
No vacuum leak when engine cold and vacuum leak when engine hot, so close to zero chance almost doesn't exist.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:09 pm

I'm with Eugene on this one, check spark quality when engine starts to die.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Return to “Farmall Cub”