This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Would this Work for the Thrust Washer??

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Would this Work for the Thrust Washer??

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:55 am

I found this washer at McMaster Carr and it matches up to the CASE/IH steering worm shaft thrust washer I ordered. The measurments for the Case/IH washer are close, and it looks like if I drill the center hole out on the McMaster-Carr washer that it would work. What do you guys think?? It is considerably cheaper too!! $6.00 compared to $30.00. I have added the drawings and deminsions of both. Please excuse my quick and dirty freehand pencil sketch. :D
Attachments
Cub Steering Thrust Washer_a.JPG
Steering Thrust Washer Substitute.JPG
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Would this Work for the Thrust Washer??

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:15 am

Looks like it should work, but be sure your drill bit is very sharp. That washer is oil impregnated, and unless the bit is real sahrp it will just spin in it rather than cut.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:21 am

Measurements are close enough. Probably have to deburr the brass washer, but that's no big deal.
I have an excuse. CRS.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:26 am

You mean after drilling? I guess a file would do the trick, right?
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:16 am

That is just a plain washer, not oil impregnated. Drilling shouldn't be a problem.

I think it would work OK. However, it is just a washer. I think an actual machine bushing would probably be a little more uniform in thickness and thus a better choice. McMaster-Carr has machine bushing 7814K36 which is 1 x 2 x 1/8 in solid bronze and costs $4.37. I'm not sure if the 2" OD would cover the entire thrust surface. You would need to check the parts. If it doesn't, they have 7814K5 which is the same except for a 2 7/8 OD for 8.47. I don't think the extra OD would interfere with anything. If you want oillite, they have the same dimensions in oillite bushings for about half the cost of the solid bronze.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:07 pm

Could you elaborate more on the different choices Jim? I'm not very familiar with the different types of bushings and what oillite is. I thought the 3 bushings (including the thrust washer) in the gearbox were brass. Are they bronze? I didn't realize the thrust washer was also a "machine bushing"....I just figured it was a brass washer. What would be the best one for my application?
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:38 pm

A washer is something you use with a bolt to distribute force etc. It is normally used with non-moving parts. A machine bushing distributes force but is untended for moving/rotating parts where friction is a factor. (This is all an oversimplification, and somebody will no doubt feel compelled to post a comment.) Brass is copper and zinc. Bronze is mostly copper and tin. Bronze is better for high friction applications. So machine bushings are typically made of bronze. Different grades of bronze are made by using different ratios of copper and tin as well as adding in other metals. Oilite is porous bronze where the pores have been filled with oil. "Oilite" is a trade name.

Here are more details about the difference between brass and bronze:
http://www.diffen.com/difference/Brass_vs_Bronze

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:45 pm

Thank you for the clarification Jim. So would the original bushings and replacements from Case/IH be Brass or Bronze? Would it matter if I had some bushings made from brass? I am having some made and told the machinist to order brass. Whether he's done that yet, I'm not sure.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:22 pm

Nothing high speed there, probably doesn't make much difference. Given the choice, I'd use bronze.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:12 pm

Ok. Thank you!
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Steve K. CALIF
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93636
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub #550
1962 LoBoy

Postby Steve K. CALIF » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:08 pm

In the parts selling business for many years and found the Oilite bushings were porous in order to hold the lubricant. In certain applications were there is a high load and a "shock" loading or continuous vibrations, the oilite would sometimes mash itself to oblivion. Or, even shatter on extreme applications. Sometimes it is better to use a bronze or brass washer or bushing that has an oil groove cut into it for the lubricant to ride in. I do not know if your application has any of the above issues, just my 2 cents of learning the bearings business. Thanks, Steve K.

Return to “Farmall Cub”