This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Plows

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cmdjsd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17202

Plows

Postby cmdjsd » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:02 pm

Hello,

I am new to Farmall Cubs and I am looking to get a plow for my 1950 Farmall Cub, but I am getting confused over what plow I need. Any help would be very helpfull.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Plows

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:06 pm

Cmdjsd, Welcome to the Forum. Unless you have a fast hitch on your Cub, the choices would be a 193 (most common) or a 189 (which is a 2-way). Those are both moldboard plows. There is also the 151 and 152 which are both disc plows (one is belly mount, the other trails behind). A fast hitch takes a 194. If you click on "manuals" above, you will find manuals for all the variations. Feel free to ask any additional questions you might have.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:17 pm

It depends on your preference, the molboard plow like this one are the most common, also available as a 2 way

Followed by the 152 belly mount (image from Rays tractors)

and my favorite which is the 151 rear mount.
There is also a 2 bottom version of the 151 called a 12D Harrow plow, that plowed a wider furrow but not as deep. I do not have pictures of the 12D though
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:19 pm

Soil type is a major consideration in the required plow. What type of soil do you have? If the soil contains a lot of rock or tree roots, the disk type plow would be preferable.

There are videos of both the mold board and disk plows working the soil on the internet.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:29 pm

The fellers have given you excellent advice. You'll find that the 152 would probably be the simplest plow to operate if you are new to plowing. Basically just bolt it on and go to plowing. I can't speak about the 151 or 12D. I do wish I could find a 151
Thomas

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:41 pm

tmays wrote:The fellers have given you excellent advice. You'll find that the 152 would probably be the simplest plow to operate if you are new to plowing. Basically just bolt it on and go to plowing. I can't speak about the 151 or 12D. I do wish I could find a 151
I like the 151, due to how easy it is to install. I leave the brackets on the year round, so just back up to it and flip 2 eye bolts up and tighten them and instal lift rod and steering rod. It does make your tractor pretty long, but does steer on the rear. The 152 is real good for fenced gardens where turning room is critical.

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:50 pm

I just gOt a 193 this year. Luckily for me it was the three piece bottom, of which I can still get parts for. I bought a new point for it at agri supply for 7.00. At any rate, even though I grew up farming, we didn't own any bottom plows. They just weren't needed, so this is new to me too. I am finding that once you get the plow adjusted correctly, it's amazing how well the cub and 193 will plow. After that I run over it with the cadet and tiller, and it makes the nicest planting beds you've ever seen! :{_}:

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:02 pm

tmays wrote:The fellers have given you excellent advice. You'll find that the 152 would probably be the simplest plow to operate if you are new to plowing. Basically just bolt it on and go to plowing. I can't speak about the 151 or 12D. I do wish I could find a 151

The 152 will work just bolted on but it does a much better job with the front right wheel adjusted out, and if the axle tube is stuck that can be quite a job.

I have a 193, a 152, and a 151. If I'm plowing new ground my choice is the 152 belly mount disk plow. If I'm plowing something that's been plowed and want to really turn some dirt it's the 193 moldboard hands down. If I want to waste some time, pretend to be plowing, get totally frustrated, and use lots of Navy words I hook up my 151 trailing disk plow.

***In the interest of full disclosure the 151 is a fine plow and does great. John *.?-!.* cub owner plowed the same ground at the same time with the one in his picture and his did a wonderful job. Mine, well, didn't. We measured, compared, analyzed, theorized, and a few other eds and never figured out why. Since then I have decided it's the paint :D his is pretty implement blue, mine is ugly brown rust.***

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:05 pm

G'day to you and congrats on becoming a brand new Cub owner :applause:

Suggest you look at the Implement Manuals at the links below and then compare some of the mounting pics of plows at TM Tractor's Implement Hookup Gallery. The guys have given you good advice.. and your choice really will depend on the type of soil on your property/in your area. Personally I have a Cub-193 and a Cub-189 and I simply love the 193. The soil just rolls off of the moldboard and Ellie has no problems pulling the plow through our clay type soils.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:07 pm

***In the interest of full disclosure the 151 is a fine plow and does great. John *.?-!.* cub owner plowed the same ground at the same time with the one in his picture and his did a wonderful job. Mine, well, didn't. We measured, compared, analyzed, theorized, and a few other eds and never figured out why. Since then I have decided it's the paint :D his is pretty implement blue, mine is ugly brown rust.***

:bellylaugh:

allneatstuff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13320

193 moldboard plow

Postby allneatstuff » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:47 pm

Just picked up a 193 plow and Depth adjuster- I have a sickle bar attached to my 47 Cub how much of that do I have to remove to put the plow on- Thanks-

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:50 pm

Everything but the drive pulley. That's why many folks have a Cub for each implement. :)
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Re: 193 moldboard plow

Postby Stanton » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:56 pm

[edit: Bill, ya beat me to it. Thanks!]

allneatstuff wrote:Just picked up a 193 plow and Depth adjuster- I have a sickle bar attached to my 47 Cub how much of that do I have to remove to put the plow on- Thanks-

You can double check the "MANUALS" section at the top of page for each, but I'm thinking you'd totally remove the sickle bar mower to hook up a 193. When I attach a 193, the drawbar is reinstalled toward the front (just under the seat in a forward position) and a depth control lever is also installed (which hooks up to the corner of the drawbar). You would probably be able to leave the PTO pulley from the sickle bar on. :wink:

193 Owner's Manual: http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... -20-51.htm

C-22 Mower Manual: http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... -17-52.htm
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:44 pm

Scrivet wrote:............ If I want to waste some time, pretend to be plowing, get totally frustrated, and use lots of Navy words I hook up my 151 trailing disk plow.

Scrivet and I both spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out why his plow did not work worth a hoot,. We came up with theories, but no solutions. Mine works great, his trails off to the side, etc. Only thing we could figure is that the pivots, etc. were worn out.

allneatstuff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13320

Postby allneatstuff » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:01 am

Everything but the sicklebar drive pulley to put on the 193- Thanks-

Return to “Farmall Cub”