This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

NEW QUESTIONS!! Need help on electrical system please!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 76502

NEW QUESTIONS!! Need help on electrical system please!

Postby Jdbfish » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:52 pm

Hello everyone, you have an awesome site here! I recently acquired a cub, sn 113978, a 48 model I believe. It belonged to my uncle and he used to take my daughter for rides on it since the time she was 2months old up untill she was 6 when he passed. She would laugh so hard her sides would hurt! He always ntended to "fix it up" as he would say but never got to it. Needless to say we both have fond memories of the them on the cub.
She is now 13 and Has always wanted to restore the tractor in honor of my uncle and we were finally able to acquire it from my cousin and now we have a project on our hands. She is active in 4H and intends to use it as a 4H project so we intend to restore to original. So here is the first of many many questions!,
It needs a new wiring harness badly but which one, 4 or 8 wire? Someone has made a total mess of the wiring and none of the original harness is left. luckily it will still start and run.I know I have a 6v system with a generator where the neg cable goes to the starter. It has a push n pull on off switch and a 4 pos rotary dial for charging and lights but not sure if it works because lights don't come on and there is no change in the ammeter when you go from low to high charge setting. Also, it seems to crank really slow even though the battery is hot.
Not sure how to tell what system I have, magneto or no mag, voltage reg or no voltage reg, etc etc?I just don't know enough about this old stuff to feel confident in ordering the correct electrical stuff. Someone Please help and thanks in advance.....
Last edited by Jdbfish on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Need help on electrical system please!

Postby clodhopper » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:08 pm

If it is a 48 and has a 4 position switch, it should have a cutout, not a voltage regulator. If the harness is in bad shape, I would start with a complete rewire (schematics on this site), and service the generator and cutout. Then if it still isnt charging, while i had the hood off, i would begin troubleshooting with the generator flow chart (also avaiable on this site). Good luck with it, and Im sure Rudi will be along soon with the welcome wagon!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:11 pm

G'day to you and congrats :applause: on acquiring your first new to you 1950 Farmall Cub :D Yup SN 113978 equates to a 1950 - you can check it here at Cub FAQ's #1 on ATIS - #13. I am glad that both you and your daughter have such a close and personal connection to this Cub and that you are going to do this project together.

Might I suggest that before either of you do anything to your Cub that you thoroughly read the McCormick Farmall Cub Owner's Manual 1950. After you have read the manual a couple times and are familiar with the Cub - pay attention to Lubrication and Maintenance. As you will find out your Cub has a Magneto and a positive ground system.

The ignition circuit is separate from the electrical circuit. The only part that the battery plays is to power the starter. Otherwise you would have to hand crank the Cub to start it. A full tune-up would be in order before you get too deeply into the Cub. Make sure that everything works as it should before you start the restore. That way you will know for sure that everything is ok and if something doesn't perform properly after the restore, you will have a place to start the troubleshooting from - that being a known runner. Suggest you follow the links below as it will help both you and your daughter and especially your daughter as she uses this for her 4-H project.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:24 pm

See...told you so!

:D

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:41 pm

6 volt does crank slow, but a well tuned engine should fire right up. If the long starter cable has been replaced it my be too small. 6 volt systems need a big cable or the cable will heat up. 1/0 awg minimum is recommended. Some use 2/0 but that is pretty hefty. http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67697&p=549982&hilit=starter+cable+size#p549982

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:46 pm

Don't forget to check for original signs of WHITE paint under the hood and in places that might have gotten "missed" during a RED re-paint. White paint was only used on Dealer DEMONSTRATER tractors, and they were produced ONLY the first few months of 1950 (3 months I think). Yours is a 1950, so I would check that too! That would add to the "coolness" of the project!
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:56 am

That serial number is, as already stated, 1950. It is well past the time the white demos were built, so don't expect to find any white paint. It is also well before the change to battery ignition and voltage regulators. As built, it had a cut-out (also called relay) type system. The cut-out mounted on top of the generator. The first two positions of the light switch manually controlled the charge rate. It had magneto ignition. The ignition switch grounded out the magneto to shut the engine off. There was no connection between the ignition system and any other electrical components. The wiring harness had 4 wires.

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:06 am

Wiring diagrams for the early cubs can be found here on ATIS:

http://www.antique-tractor.com/CubFAQ/cub_faq_2.html

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:29 am

The diagrams should also be in the op manual (any manual).

In my option a new harness is a smart investment. Once you sort out exactly what you have, get the right one. Mag and cutout are the things that make a difference. My 50 has a regulator, but I could tell by the tach hole in the distributor base it was converted somewhere along the line.

Brillman has very nice complete wiring packages and is very good to deal with. You can also get it from a dealer (C&G, link on the bottom of this page) or aftermarket ones.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:56 am

Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 76502

Postby Jdbfish » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:23 pm

Ok guys, thanks for all the replies. I pretty sure I have a cutout because there is a box on the generator with 3 posts total, 2 on bottom and 1 on top. It is hard to read but I can tell it says delco remy on it. The starter also says delco. With that NGO can anyone tell me the following please:

1. Which wiring harness do I need
2. What tune up kit or parts do I need to do a complete tune up including plug wires.
3. Although not electrical related, what carb kit do I need

Please give me part numbers and descriptions if possible. I apologize for my ignorance here and thank all of you for the help

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Re: NEW QUESTIONS!! Need help on electrical system please!

Postby bob in CT » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:53 am

Here is your wiring harness: http://brillman.com/store/b3024-001-farmall-cub-wire-harness-serial-501-to-115-402-4-wire.html

Use an IH kit for the carb, but make sure you need to do it first and know what you are doing before you split it and break the fragile tube inside.

See TM tractor in the links below for tune up parts or browse Brillman above.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:55 am

In addition to all the advice already given, TM tractor has an impressive collection of photos, which will help you identify the various components on your Cub. While you're there, they are a first rate supplier of Cub parts, as well as a supporter of this site, you'll do well to do business with them.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:24 am

And Welcome to the Forum
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson

Postby Tezell » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:20 am

Welcome to the forum.

I would give the carb a good cleaning before I purchased a kit. Like Bob said be careful when you take the 2 halves apart as not to break the tube. Take a small piece of stiff wire and run it into all the small openings and soak it in some carb cleaner for a little while. I like to take my air conpressor and blow everything out. When you put it back together make sure the carburetor gasket and the intake gasket is good.

Keep us posted.
"I ain't believing this!"

Return to “Farmall Cub”