This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Should 154 carb leak if gas is not shutoff?

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Henecton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22845

Should 154 carb leak if gas is not shutoff?

Postby Henecton » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:27 am

I recently bought a 1973 154 Cub and really like the tractor and when spring time hits I am going to redo the paint, nothing fancy just to keep the rust away. I kept getting a slow gas leak from the carb after I parked it. I finally figured out from a guy I work with that it had a gas shutoff but my question is, is the gas leak normal if you forget to shutoff the gas?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Should 154 carb leak if gas is not shutoff?

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:37 am

No. Is it leaking from the weep hole in the carb or from one of the fuel line fittings?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:42 am

G'day and congrats :applause: on acquiring your 1st new to you Cub. The Cub-154 Lo-boys are kinda interesting and a lot of our members really like em. I am sure a number of them will respond. However, the fuel circuit is the same as the standard Cub - IH 3/4" updraft carb (usually), same type of fuel line etc... So to answer your question, no, a gas leak is not normal.

Cub-154 Lo-Boy - [url-http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Number%20Series%20Cubs/Cub-154%20Lo-Boy/Owner's%20Manual/Operator's%20Manual%20-%20International%20Cub-154%20Lo-Boy.htm]Operator's Manual - International Cub-154 Lo-Boy[/url].

You will need to check the carb - probably the float is getting hung up or something similar. Reading Lurker Carl's Cub Carb Fixes, will help solve the situation. I recommend reading the articles so you can understand the IH carb better.

I am sure others will pop in with suggestions as what to look for in the carb - (I see Don already has - he is one of our carb guru's). However, since this is new to you I would recommend that you do a full and complete tune-up and would also recommend a complete tune-up of the fuel circuit. This is what I have done to eliminate any fuel leaks (and also because I have neuropathy problems - a conversion that makes it easier for me) - [url]How To Upgrade A Cub Fuel System[/url]

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:44 am

Answer is no, should not leak. Most likely potential problem area is debris between the carburetor needle valve and seat.

Shut off the gas at the fuel tank and let the tractor run until it dies of fuel starvation. Then open the fuel shut off. This may flush any small piece of debris out of the needle valve and seat.

Cheap try before you disassemble and clean the carburetor/fuel system is to add carburetor cleaner in fuel tank.

Edit: The carburetor "should be" a Zenith, the one pictured in Rudi's post.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:04 pm

ENG-1 Engine Parts Catalog Section A C-60 Engines

The Cub-154 Lo-Boy originally came with the IH 3/4" Updraft Carburetor (the one pictured in the image above). However, the Zenith was a replacement carb for the C-60 engine (Jim Becker would know those dates off hand, I don't). As Eugene said yours may have a Zenith but more than likely it will be the IH carb. Let us know which one you do have.

Either way we both agree on the likely problem - float - possibly affected by crud in the needle and seat. Check the cage assembly (Item # 9 in above parts breakdown) for dirt/varnish etc. You need to inspect it well. Also, as an aside you may also wish to the fuel sediment bowl as well.

IH Cub Lo-Boy 154 Tractor C60 15hp Engine Carburetor IH 3/4" Updraft Carburetor

251234R91 New Original Style IH Farmall Cub Carburetor 154 184 185 C60 Zenith - Replacement Zenith Carb for the 154, Standard Carb for the 185 and 184 Lo-boys.

Edit: I just noticed that the Zenith replacement carb pictured is NOT a Zenith but is actually an IH updraft - vendor labelling error. I have redone the search

IH CUB LO BOY 184 185 ZENITH CARB NICE LOOKING UNIT

IH Cub Lo Boy 185 BRAND NEW ZENITH CARBURETOR 154 184
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:24 pm

only the 184s came from the factory with a Zenith
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Henecton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22845

Postby Henecton » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:47 pm

Thanks for all the responses I will definately check out what everyone suggested. I bought the tractor for $1200 delivered with a 60" (maybe a 59" depends how you measure) belly mower and a 60" front blade with brush guard that someone fabricated, the blade can be removed with just two pins. Right after I got the tractor the transmission got stuck in gear and I had to have the tractor towed, at that point it had a complete going through of PTO, clutch, transmission, and all the fluids changed. The mechanic did not touch the carb.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:11 pm

Most of the maintenance on the 154 you can do yourself and that is including the carb. Many of us, including myself are not mechanics by trade or even by backyard-shadetree standards, but we learn and we maintain our own. The C-60 is a very easy engine to work on unless of course you are going into it's innards - then that changes the whole ball of wax. However, doing the carb is pretty simple. The only thing that you have to be aware of is the idle tube when you separate the two halves of the carb. You can snap that item pretty quickly and it is a $40.00 or so item..... :shock:

Let us know what you find out. And enjoy the ride - it will be memorable. Besides the company here is incomparable. :{_}:

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”