This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Touch Control Pump Drive Gear

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
K.J. Rutledge
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65712
Circle of Safety: Y

Touch Control Pump Drive Gear

Postby K.J. Rutledge » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:29 pm

Well,

I began my first touch control pump refresh with a gasket kit from TM. Upon disassembling the pump I found the drive gear had a very distinct groove cut in the shaft where the o-ring seal rides.... The shaft is not overly rough, just grooved. The correct o-ring, supplied by TM, is too loose given the groove in the shaft.

1st question, If this pump has seen such considerable use/wear as that a rubber o-ring wore a groove over the last 50+ years...what are the possibilities of the rest of the pump being serviceable?

I just recently installed this touch control unit as I previously only had a hand lift. After installing the touch control unit, it did not exhibit any symptoms of being weak, however, I have never had touch control previously (lifted my Woods 42 and Cub 22 with no problem) Given the apparent wear in the pump, I fully expect a rebuild of the touch control block will be in my near future...If I can repair/replace the drive gear.

2nd question, I have a pretty thrifty machine shop in my area, Anyone ever tried to build up one of these and turn it back down?

Thanks,

K.J. Rutledge
Mt. Vernon, MO

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Touch Control Pump Drive Gear

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:29 pm

K.J. Rutledge wrote: The correct o-ring, supplied by TM, is too loose given the groove in the shaft.

Loose just trying the o-ring on the shaft, or loose when installed in the housing and the shaft put in place? If it is loose when inserted in the housing, the least expensive fix is probably to find another pump. It depends on what the machine shop can do with the worn shaft at what price.

K.J. Rutledge
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby K.J. Rutledge » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:41 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Loose just trying the o-ring on the shaft, or loose when installed in the housing and the shaft put in place?

I just tried it on the shaft.... but it appears to me, given the groove, it would not seal, as intended, within the housing...

Unless I'm way outta line and there is supposed to be a groove on the shaft?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:50 pm

The groove is entirely from wear.

Has it been leaking hydraulic fluid into the engine?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:02 pm

When you talk to the machinist, you might also inquire about having the shaft turned down slightly to fit a speedi sleeve that would have the same OD as the shaft originally did.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:14 pm

Been down that road before. This was my fix.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40331
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

K.J. Rutledge
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby K.J. Rutledge » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:45 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Has it been leaking hydraulic fluid into the engine?

Yes, leaking into the crankcase.

Thanks for all the feedback. Headed to the machine shop this week, will see what I can come up with.

By the way, it is unbelievable the groove a little rubber o-ring cut into this shaft!!!

K.J. Rutledge
Mt. Vernon, MO

Return to “Farmall Cub”