This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Grinding noise from hyd pump!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gpcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17040
Tractors Owned: 1947 farmall H
1951 farmall CUB

Grinding noise from hyd pump!

Postby gpcub » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:28 pm

With the temps in the 60's today I had the chance to take the Cub for a drive. On my return I pushed the hyd arm and started to hear a grinding noisethe hydraulics where jumpy, I shut the motor down started back up and still had noise. I got the Cub back in the shop and pulled the hyd pump not good the nut is missing at the end of the pump and I found lots of metal in the hole. Looks like I have to pull the front back off and find what caused all this lucky for me I have spare engine parts. plus gives me something to do this winter. Any guesses what caused this?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Grinding noise from hyd pump!

Postby tst » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:43 pm

the nut has a locking tab washer to hold it in place so the nut and washer are in the oil pan, the washer was either not there, not bent to hold the nut, so pull the oil pan and see what you find
Tim

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:50 pm

tst wrote:the nut has a locking tab washer to hold it in place so the nut and washer are in the oil pan, the washer was either not there, not bent to hold the nut, so pull the oil pan and see what you find
Tim

To pull the pan you have to drain the oil first. Drain/strain the oil, then stick a magnet into the drain hole and you may get lucky. It worked for me. :wink: Didn't have to pull the pan. :{_}:
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:49 pm

I have a neighbor waiting for me to get enough room in the shed to check his cub. He heard a clattering from the engine, and it died. I suspect either the nut came off the pump and got in the gears, or maybe the pump gear itself. His camshaft is not turning. I am expecting to find the teeth stripped on the cam gear once I get into the cub. He has owned it for 30+ years and pump has never been off. As many as I am hearing about lately I am beginning to suspect metal fatigue is setting in on those keepers.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:06 pm

Some people find these nuts and washers in the bottom of the pans years later after the last PO replaced the lost parts and went on. What are the chances of this nut or washer ever moving from the bottom of the pan and contacting anything above ?

I know it'd drive me nuts until it was out, just wondered what you guys thought about it... :roll:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:29 pm

Yogie wrote:Some people find these nuts and washers in the bottom of the pans years later after the last PO replaced the lost parts and went on. What are the chances of this nut or washer ever moving from the bottom of the pan and contacting anything above ?

Slim to none in my opinion, but like you said, the parts should be fished out regardless.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:51 am

Once the nut and keeper get to the pan, the chances of them doing anything are pretty slim. I have tried to fish them out with a magnet on a flexible handle, but could not get it past the oil intake. If it were mine, I would not worry about it, just remove it the first time I have occasion to remove the pan. I have heard and seen so many of them coming off, I have started either using some Loctite, or been installing the locking nuts on the shafts to prevent it from happening again.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:41 pm

I would either temporary bolt the hydraulic pump back in place WITHOUT the gear, or fashion a temporary wood block-off cover, and start the tractor up for a few seconds.

It was grinding before. Probably the timing gears chewing on the nut and keeper.

If it doesn't grind now, then the parts PROBABLY fell down into the pan. If it's still grinding, you need to perform some more surgery.

gpcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 farmall CUB

Postby gpcub » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:33 pm

I did pull the pump and found a lot of metal from the gear in the engine. The amount of metal concerns me so I ordered new front and pan gaskets. Hate to pull the front but with all that metal I don't think I have a choice. I will replace the gear and redo the pump nut with loctite. I did start the engine sounded ok. I'll take some pictures after I get it a part. Thanks of the come backs.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:51 pm

While you have the pump out, it would be a good time to replace the o-ring/seal on the pump shaft dependign on which it uses.

gpcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 farmall CUB

Postby gpcub » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:41 pm

Took the front off today. I reexamined the pump only to find that the pump is broken where the shaft comes out . That's where all the chunks of metal came from. Now I have to find a pump or just the front half. Tomorrow I'll pull the crank pulley and pan to start the cleanup. Anyone that may have a front pump casing let me know. Thanks!

Return to “Farmall Cub”