This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

more wazzits from the blacksmith shop

What is it or Wazzit? Have a mystery item you want help figuring out its use. . . this is the place to ask.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

more wazzits from the blacksmith shop

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:21 pm

item 1. The pin on the top is a solid rod between the 2 halves. The one in the middle mounts a small pulley. The left loop when pulled up releases the fingers shown on the lower right. I suspect it to be a release for dropping a hay hook into a load of loose hay, but do not know. Anybody have any ideas?

Item 2. I think is a saw set, but not sure, and it has been so long since I saw one I do not remember how it was used if that is what it is. The screw in the middle piece adjusts it up and down. Or at least it did at one time.

Item 3. appears to be a spacer designed for a specific purpose. the markings 4 and 5 are 4 and 5 inches respectively from the outer edge of the curled end. Considering the way the numbers were written it appears to have been designed to use in this position. We found several of them in different buildings.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: more wazzits from the blacksmith shop

Postby BIGHOSS » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:22 pm

I think you are right about item #1, Even though I have not seen one just like it. Looks like the rope feeds through the pulley and ties to the trip ring. I can't see exactly what releases it. A similar design can be used on a horse hitching rein. They are called "panic snaps", because they can be released while under pressure.

Item #2 is in fact a saw set. It is used to set the teeth on a crosscut saw. My g'father had one.

Item #3, don't have a clue.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:27 pm

I don't know either John but I'm interested in finding out.
This one was made by Atkins & Co of Indianapolis. Patent dates are May 5, 74, Jun 75, Aug 81 and Jan 88 Vern

Added. Bighoss types faster than I do.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:16 pm

BIGHOSS wrote:I think you are right about item #1, Even though I have not seen one just like it. Looks like the rope feeds through the pulley and ties to the trip ring. I can't see exactly what releases it.......
John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Image

The finger that's flat on the end latches under the springloaded trip eye which pops back into place when released. The flat finger fits in the notch between the two outside halves just above it. The catch is just visible in the notch.

I'm still skeptical about this being for loose hay handling. It's just to small and the space between the three fingers isn't very big to hold a rope or a metal ring, or something. The hole for the trip rope to tie into and if the trip rope does go around the pulley the rope would have to be about clothes line sized. The fact that it has three fingers puzzles me and leads me to believe that part is important to the function of this er.... ah.... doohickey. A simple J shaped piece would work to release any suspended load like a hay fork, so why the two extra fingers spread out to each side. Looks to me like for some type of alignment or to keep something straight.

v w wrote:Image
This one was made by Atkins & Co of Indianapolis. Patent dates are May 5, 74, Jun 75, Aug 81 and Jan 88 Vern
I think I remember seeing something like Atkins on it. I'll have to look a little closer tomorrow.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:41 am

#1 a barb wire fence puller??
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:07 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:item 1. The pin on the top is a solid rod between the 2 halves. The one in the middle mounts a small pulley. The left loop when pulled up releases the fingers shown on the lower right. I suspect it to be a release for dropping a hay hook into a load of loose hay, but do not know. Anybody have any ideas?

I think it's a KENWOOD Rope Sling Holder! :D

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:28 pm

Now we see the sellers description, but what are they for?

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:49 pm

Would the rope slings be used for hoisting cargo with a crane? Ever see the loading of ships?
Luck favors those who are prepared

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:11 pm

Appears in 1938 Sears Catalog with the Loose Hay Handling equipment.

John I emailed you the whole page if you can make the file smaller, I have been pulling my hair out trying to get the one above posted and then reducing the whole page and I just don't have that much left to pull.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:38 pm

Bus Driver wrote:Would the rope slings be used for hoisting cargo with a crane? Ever see the loading of ships?

Up close and personal like. I spent four plus years on a Guided Missile Destroyer. Had the "privilege" of being involved in countless UNREPS. For those that don't speak military that stands for Underway Replenishment which is when the ship is out to sea and takes on fuel, food, mail, parts, people, etc. Think of it as driving a pickup down the interstate beside a tanker truck and running a hose over to fill your tank while you're moving. While you're doing this somebody is sitting on the tanker throwing your mail and this weeks groceries through your window and a helicopter is dropping a load of parts in the bed of your truck.

Actually come to think of it this thing is way smaller but does sorta resemble the trip that was used on the cargo nets slung under the helicopters. They'd bring three or four pallets and "very gently" place them on the fantail and release the nets. It was a mad dash from everybody available to run out, grab something and everything, and clear the flight deck for the next round. Which depending on how far they had to fly back to their ship to get the next load would be just a minute or two up to 15.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:56 pm

Here is the page reduced, and a link to a larger size if you want.
http://home.centurytel.net/ejpuckett/Fa ... 0large.jpg

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:57 pm

Here's something from the blacksmith shop. Pretty easy to id, just thought it was neat. A barn find

Thomas

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:15 pm

My dad had one of these hand operated blacksmith blowers and it took three men and a boy to turn it. Really neat ......

Nowadays i use the 200,000 btu rosebud to heat things up. On the older castiron or steel tapered hubs I would tickle them with the 200,000 btu of heat and when they came off they would sizzle in the snow for over an hour.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

john2189
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44657

Postby john2189 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:25 am

3rd item looks like an old rain gutter hanger strap
'49 Cub (Vince)
'41 allis B with Woods L59 mower
656 Wheel Horse with 42” sickle mower
C-165 Wheel Horse
Simplicity 20 HP Sunstar
Honda 48” walk behind mower

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:36 pm

Yup, I believe you are right

Return to “Wazzits?”