Kitchen Press?

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:53 pm

Came in a milk crate purchased at an auction filled with mostly basement workshop items but it looks almost like a kitchen device.

The threaded part unscrews completely out and can be switched end for end to change from a larger to a smaller size. The handle is 9" long with a plastic end grip.

It's mounted on a 9" piece of wood that doesn't appear to be very old, there are no numbers or letters stamped anywhere, front or back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Kitchen Press?

Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:03 am

Nut cracker, pecans ....? Bingo

Re: Kitchen Press?

Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:18 am

Bingo... And fast service... Thanks Bill.

I actually thought maybe it was a nutcracker but that seemed almost too easy.

A nutcracker for rich folks?

The only nutcracker experience I have is with mom's metal plier like device that resembled a jar opener.

The two different jaw size option also had me wondering.

If you look closely at the fixed jaw, it does appear to have the remains of a nut shell lodged in it so you have hit the nail on the head Bill.

Re: Kitchen Press?

Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:49 am

Here is one from Munsey Products of Little Rock. I found it in a box of Mom's stuff that was moved to our house after she died. It is about 30 years old.




Re: Kitchein Press?

Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:43 am

A Munsey Nut Buster... The only nut buster I know about is this kind, not for edible nuts though... ... ckets.html

Barnyard's model has smooth cups, mine has ridges or serrations, one of the details that puzzled me thinking it was for some other use.

Quite a complicated little piece of equipment for busting nuts but now I know beyond a doubt what I have.

As I thought a little more about nut crackers farther back in time, I remember grandma had a cast iron squirrel that when you messed with its tail, it would crack the nut you placed in its mouth.

Thanks guys.