This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

2 New to me cubs

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

2 New to me cubs

Postby gusbratz » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:40 pm

Hello came across this forum and thought I would join. I used to have a 47 cub. I went through everything (except cosmetics) on it then traded it for a 530 case. I have been missing it so I just bought 2 cubs off CL. A yellow and white one with a mower, tire chains, and a plow. Also a red one with a plow and a belt pulley take off. Both for 1500$. The red one serial # is a 1949 the yellow and white one is a 1959. I see red paint poking out of the yellow ones torque tube so not sure if it is a frankin tractor or what. They have both been badly neglected. Former owner didn't seem to know how to take care of them. He used the yellow one for like an hour then it broke down in his yard and there it has sat for a couple years. The red one he plowed with at some point. I pulled the carb on the red one and cleaned it today. There was so much white stuff in it the float couldn't move. There is a 6v coil screwed to the top of the mag. He said he paid his mechanic friend to put a new wiring harness on the tractor. Not sure what they were up to there. I see the tire is on backward on the yellow one. I wonder why anyone would take the time to bolt a tire on if it was facing the wrong way lol. I will see if it will start later today if I can get a charge in the battery. If not I will tear into the mag and try to put it back to original and make a hand crank. Here are the CL pics from when I picked them up yesterday.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 2 New to me cubs

Postby Denny Clayton » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:52 pm

Welcome to the forum. The red you see poking thru on the '59 is original paint. They didn't switch to y/w until a few years later.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby gusbratz » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:19 pm

I got the red one going today and rode it around a little. Then shut it down and started draining fluids. I pulled the mag to see what is going on with the coil. It appears to have a different yellow mag with an external coil attached to it. Spark plug wires look like original cloth covered wire. I pulled the cover and the original coil is gone and there is a lot of oil inside the mag cover where the coil belongs. Is that area supposed to have oil in it? Also this tractor has hydraulics (my old one was manual) the front blade has down pressure when I lower it. Is it supposed to have down pressure or should it float? Kind of surprised me when it dug into the ground and almost stalled the tractor.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:46 pm

Welcome to the forum! Nice to have another cubber to the south of me in western PA...

To answer your questions: No, there shouldn't be any oil in that part of the mag. Most likely, the seal that runs on the governor (right behind the mag) is leaking and since the gasket between the mag and governor is a good seal there was no place for the oil to go. Check out other posts on this forum and the service manuals on how to change the magneto/governor oil seal...

They did make the hydraulics and the mechanism to lift the blade that you have with capability of down pressure. To alleviate this for plowing snow, they made a flexible clevis to attach to the top of the spring tower on the blade so that it will float a little more. You can also adjust the angle of attack on the bottom of the blade so that it will float a bit better over obstacles when plowing snow. If you decide to use it to grade (center position), you can adjust the angle of attack to be a little more aggressive to dig some dirt.

Again, welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place!!
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby gusbratz » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:12 am

gibsonia, had to look that one up, looks to be about 2.5 hours south of here in warren. i just pulled the points cover off and couldn't believe it even ran. and it actually started and ran good!!! the points were totally submerged in engine oil, i had to dump it out. wow.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:27 am

Gus, Welcome to the Forum. It looks like the PO modified the exhaust so it would fog mosquitoes before they got to him. :lol: There are also shoes or skids that can be placed on the bottom of the blade to help keep it from digging in. Barnyard sells reproductions that you can find in the For Sale forum. Hope you enjoy your Cub.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby gusbratz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:38 am

I have been working on the cub and have found some strange stuff; I took the mag off and cleaned it real good, set the points, flushed the engine out with kerosene and put new oil and filter in, drained the tranny and flushed and cleaned it out. I found the detent balls in the shifter rails were not in the holes on top of the springs where they should be. They were in the holes that the shifter rails travel in. not sure if somebody else had it apart and messed up or if they can somehow pop out and get in front of the rails if you jam it too hard. So I put them back and buttoned the transmission last night. Put my new governor-magneto drive seal in and put the mag on and couldn’t get it to time at TDC. It was always about an inch past TDC no matter how far I rotated it. So I took it back out and built the drive ears up with weld and filed them back to a perfect fit and I still couldn’t get it to snap at TDC. So I took the governor out and jumped it 1 tooth backward and now the drive slot sits at about 8:00-2:00 and it snaps at TDC instead of like 2” after. I made some new plug wires and cleaned all the plugs and thought I would do a compression test before put them on and was pleased to find 115# 115# 120# 120# front to back, my old cub was never that good. Makes me wonder if somebody was into this engine at some point. I think it’s actually going to be a really good tractor. I was assuming the worst by looking at where and how it had been treated by the previous owner. And the amount of terrible black sludge and tar that came out when I drained everything. Maybe I’ll put the hood back on tonight then clean out the finals and be done for now.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:57 am

Looks like you are making great progress. I'll take that kind of compression any day.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:07 am

For sure, someone has been into the trans. before, that's the only way those detent balls can end up in the shaft bore. You done good there. It's hard to say how far someone's been into the engine, but we do know that they didn't properly time the governor gear. Both of these discoveries are quite common, by the way.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:00 am

Gus:

G'day and congrats :applause: on the 2 new to you Cubs and joining the MCC all at the very same time. Interesting Cubs -- and that muffler :wink: definitely different. Looks like 2 nice Cubs that will give you hours of play time as you bring them back up to snuff. As Bill said, I would take those compression numbers any day of the week as well. Very nice.

Lots of manuals and resources for our members , follow the links below

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby gusbratz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:48 pm

put the hood on and the new battery and tried to start it tonight and no-go. got good spark, mag clicks right at tdc fireing stroke. fireing order is 1-3-4-2 staring at the top. what am i missing, does my mag need to be timed differently since i have a bastardized mag with a coil attached to the top? maybe somehow i put the rotor on wrong when i packed it with grease.hmmmmm. sort of scrambaled tonight because my wife went to the movies and my little monkey is out in the garage "helping".

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:08 pm

Pull plug # 1 and bring the piston to TDC on the compression stroke. At that point replace the plug and remove the distributor cap. Verify the rotor tab is pointed to the cap tower that the #1 plug wire is connected to. This will verify if you are timed properly.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:44 pm

Since you had the mag apart, you need to time the rotor. Did you get fire from the coil wire?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby gusbratz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:03 pm

when i put the rotor on i lined up the little lines between it and the pinion. i have very good spark at the coil and at the spark plug. gapped the points at .013

Goraidh (Jeff)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04236
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub "Jessie"
'64 Cub "Alex"

Postby Goraidh (Jeff) » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:32 pm

Congrat's on the new Cubs, and welcome to the forum!
'49 Cub (#77786) "Jessie"
"64 Farmall Cub (#224657) "Alex"
Woods 42C-6
C-3 mower
Cub 54 Blade
193 Moldboard plow
Cub L-38 disc harrow
Cub-144 Cultivator
Cordwood Saw

Return to “Farmall Cub”