This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pulling front cam gear

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
gpcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17040
Tractors Owned: 1947 farmall H
1951 farmall CUB

Pulling front cam gear

Postby gpcub » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:15 am

I pulled the front off my cub and engine after my hyd pump broke and found lots of metal in the oil pan. I also found that my cam gear is missing teeth on the back side. lucky for me I have a spare cam and gear. I pulled the gear from the old cam with no problems. Now to pull the gear from the one on my motor. Has any one done this with out pulling the motor I tried a 3 jaw puller but can't get a bit on inside lip. If anyone has any suggestion please let me know.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Re: Pulling front cam gear

Postby Clark Thompson » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:50 am

the only way to change the cam gear is to remove the cam from the engine. It is a pressed fit and will need pressed on. pressing it on the cam while in the engine will result in oil pump damage
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Postby gusbratz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:01 pm

I have always installed interference fits by heating to 400*-450* F then it should slip right on by hand. Heat it evenly around the outside while pulling to remover the old one. heat applied to the outside will make the gear "grow outward". if the whole gear gets too hot and starts to soak into the cam let it cool off then try again. to install put new gear in the kitchen oven for 20-30 minutes. Never done a cub cam gear before but lots of other interference fits in gearboxes this way. By the way 450* is hotter than you think when you see it in real life.

gpcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 farmall CUB

Postby gpcub » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:13 pm

Gives me some ideas. I thought about using a dremel and cutting the gear off. I'll try the heat first and if get it off then I'll try the same to get it back on. Does the cam have a threaded hole? If so I could press the cam back on with the impact and plate of steel. and if all fails I'll pull the motor and cam.

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby jim turner » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:20 pm

I think I would take Clark's advice :D
Jim Turner

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:45 pm

jim turner wrote:I think I would take Clark's advice :D
Ditto. Take the time to pull the engine and remove the cam shaft. Just time, not as expensive as messing up something like the oil pump.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:01 pm

I changed a cam a while back, not that big a deal. of course you have to pull engine and remove flywheel to get the Woodruff key out of back end of cam shaft. Took some wedges like used for shimming doors and windows, and cut a slot in the center. Turned crankshaft and as each valve came up I drove wedge under it to hold valve up, then rolled block over so the followers were clear of camshaft and removed it. Put new cam in, removed wedges and adjusted valves.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:07 pm

No threaded hole on that shaft..... Just setting here thinking about ways to do this and I can't see it being done with out removing the engine. :roll: Can't drive that gear on without possibly damaging the back where the oil pump sits. Could even crack the cast block on the back side pump area. :shock:
The valves will need lifted to slide the cam out and clear the lifters, this will require removing the head to place wood wedges under the valves or some way to lift and hold the valves from the valve spring area. :roll:
Also need the engine up side down or on it's side to keep the lifters from falling out..... :roll:

We're just full of good news tonight. :)):
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Postby gusbratz » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:47 am

does the gear looks like http://www.tm-tractor.com/gen/camgear_001.htm you said you can't get a bite on it with a 3 jaw puller, try useing a steering wheel puller and bolts throught the spokes of the gear with big washers on the backs. or you could drill and tap holes in the junk gear to thread bolts into to get a hold of it. or yes a "blue line" cut with a cut off wheel. that is hard to do without touching the shaft. but a lot of times if you just get close with a cut off wheel you can finish splitting it with a hammer and chisel driven into the wedge. be carefull cam bearings are usually super soft and impact could damage them.

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:56 am

No cam bearings in a C60 engine..... :wink: Getting it off will be easy, the going on part is where braking something can happen.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:30 am

You HAVE TO pull the camshaft out to put the new gear on. There is no point going to extremes trying to remove the old gear from the shaft while it is in place. Just take it out do it right.

I'm not sure if you have to remove the oil pump to remove the camshaft. If the rear end of the shaft is small enough where it fits into the oil pump gear, the shaft with the drive key may pull out through the rear bearing. If the oil pump gear is tight on the camshaft, you are back to the same problem, needing to remove the oil pump to put the oil pump gear back on. The tappets shouldn't be a problem with the engine still in place. Block the valves open as already described, hold each tappet up with a wooden clothes pin in from the side.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:15 am

Remave the engine or you will make a mess , the cam may slide out of the oil pump gear, but you will have trouble getting it back in.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:55 pm

Jim Becker wrote:.....
I'm not sure if you have to remove the oil pump to remove the camshaft. If the rear end of the shaft is small enough where it fits into the oil pump gear, the shaft with the drive key may pull out through the rear bearing......
There is a Woodruff (half moon ) key in the camshaft that turns the oil pump gear. That key will NOT pass through the rear hole in the block.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

gpcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 farmall CUB

Postby gpcub » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:58 pm

So bottom line is to pull the motor and pull the cam. I can't believe how much damage a little nut can cause!

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:06 pm

gpcub wrote:So bottom line is to pull the motor and pull the cam.

Unfortunately, that is the only line. Any other way will do nothing more than cause more damage and grief.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”