This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Battery

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Old school frank
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08876

Battery

Postby Old school frank » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:24 pm

Can someone guide me around the site to find the answer or answer it directly. Sorry not to computer savvy .
The battery on my 62 cub low boy my have had a used battery installed backwards . Not correctly buy utilizing positive ground. Noticed this after I tried to start it the negative smoked a little and sparked. I then Charged the battery. Installed it positive ground. It cranked 30 seconds . The negative connetor smoked and crackled a second or two. Then would not crank at all .
Maybe killed the battery . But why would negative crackly and smoke . Thinking its now hooked up correctly with positive ground . Did i fry somthing by starting it . With in correct hook up but why the secound time.Appreciate help.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Battery

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:48 pm

Assuming it is still 6 volt, positive ground is correct. Sounds like you need to clean and tighten or maybe replace the cables or connections.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Old school frank
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Old school frank » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:19 pm

Thank you . Read somewhere I could have fried regulator.. You don't think that could have happened ? ill get a new battery . This looks old clean up as you say. Just don't understand sparking and a little smoke thanks on negative side.thanks again. Frank

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby lazyuniondriver » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:27 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Sounds like you need to clean and tighten or maybe replace the cables or connections.

Smoke and fire come from current trying to jump a gap, like a spark plug.

In this case, the gap is at your battery connection.

Your starter knows no polarity so no matter how it is hooked to the battery, it will crank the tractor.

Your charging system may have taken a hit on the cross connection. That you will determine when you get it running.

If you are going to keep the tractor and use it at least once in a while, I would invest in a new battery for certain, and cables if necessary.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Old school frank
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Old school frank » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:38 am

Thank you makes good sense . Thought I may have fried something like the regulator . Kno mechanics not good with electric system . Sat. I'll get a new battery thanks again frank.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:41 am

Frank, I doubt that you damaged anything, but when you install the new battery, you will need to polarize the generator to the proper polarity. I would examine your battery cables very closely, especially the battery end clamps. You may have a battery with an open circuit at the neg. post.

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:49 am

Gary Dotson wrote:but when you install the new battery, you will need to polarize the generator to the proper polarity.

Just adding to what Gary said:

One way to do this is to take a short jumper wire and touch it to the "Batt" and "Gen" terminals on the voltage regulator. You should see a spark upon contact. That shows you the process is done.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:31 am

One thing to look at is the wire going to the distributor from the coil, the marking on the coil should be the same polarity as the ground of the tractor. So '-' for negative ground (usually 12v) and '+' for positive ground (6v).

As was said, the arcs are the electricity trying to get where it belongs.... clean up the battery/terminals with a battery tool and make very sure the ground is a good one. Good connections (terminals, bolts etc) are key.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:23 am

The sparking and smoke is from a poor connection. When you pull the starter rod it is trying to pull approx 100 to 150 amps to crank the tractor. If it does not have a good connection that connection will smoke, get hot, and sometimes spark. As an additional thought, if you have a hand crank make sure you can turn the engine by hand. Sometimes the starter will lock, binding in the ring gear and makes these problems worse than normal.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Old school frank
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Old school frank » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:20 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
Sounds like you need to clean and tighten or maybe replace the cables or connections. "
Thanks for all the sound advice . Tomorrow Saturday will get to work on it . I'll get those connections cleaned and tightened first . Then go from there . Incorporating all the steps as I go. From all who answered . With in those answers I'm confident the problem will be resolved. Thanks again for the support frank

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:37 pm

Good luck with it Frank! I'm sure you will get it solved.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”