This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pulling front cam gear

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Pulling front cam gear

Postby Yogie » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:48 pm

you've removed the front pulley and the engine cover plus all else involved, The way I see it hardest parts done and the rest should be a breeze. :wink:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:45 pm

gpcub wrote:....... I can't believe how much damage a little nut can cause!
It probably does not help much, but I have a neighbor that is waiting for me to get some room in my shop to fix the same problem on his cub.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:06 am

Now for some different news. My last overhaul involved a machine shop oversight in not replacing the oil galley plugs (that's another story). Repair involved removal of the cam gear, installing the galley plug and replacing the cam gear. I do NOT know how they removed it, however, I was there to see how they reinstalled it. They had a little burner set-up that heated the gear to he point that it just dropped on the end of the camshaft. The engine has had no problems since and this one is on my "Hot Rod" that turns 24-2600 RPM. So maybe another approach :?: :?:

gpcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17040
Tractors Owned: 1947 farmall H
1951 farmall CUB

Postby gpcub » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:01 am

Thanks for all the great advice. I took bits and pieces of it it and came up with a solution. First I drilled and taped the old gear used a puller to pull it. I drilled and tapped the end of the cam to 5/16NC. Then started the gear and heated it up, I don't have a good torch so I used a propane with map gas, It didn't get it cherry red but did get hot. I used a bolt and washers and to press the gear back on. The cam shaft sticks out just pass the gear so I used a longer bolt and socket larger than the shaft and finished pressing the gear in place. After installing the oil pan I wish I would have split the engine just to put the 3 bolts in the rear of the pan. Now I have to touch up my bolts and finish installing the front. Next to rebuilt the pump and cross my fingers that it doesn't happen again or GP will be sold as parts!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:09 am

gpcub wrote:It didn't get it cherry red but did get hot.

Probably just as well. Cherry red would have probably ruined the heat treating.

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:40 am

When heating objects, I do not do it anymore without my infrared, laser guided hand held thermometer. It's ease of use and fast readout makes it a snap to know the temperature of an object.

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:54 am

the sollution you came up worked ok but there is one problem. by driling and taping the end of the came shaft makes it a weak point. . the cam gear drives the hyd pump. This will be a braking point under a heavy hydraulic load. May last forever, may not.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Postby gusbratz » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:22 pm

450* is the max you should heat interference fits up, red hot would be badddddd. i see your logic that the "hotter it get it the more it expands" but it is not so, it will start expanding inward toward the center and actually make the hole SMALLER. you want to put heat to the outside to get the outside to expand and draw the inside hole open with it. i looked in my IH service manual since i last posted and it says to soak the gear in boiling water then slip it on.

Return to “Farmall Cub”