12 volt coil on a 6Volt magneto system?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

Re: 12 volt coil on a 6Volt magneto system?

Postby Eugene » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:44 pm

countryguy wrote:It is a Delco Remy 1101355 generator. From a post I read I believe it to be a 6 volt generator, correct???
Correct, shows up as a 6 volt generator.

OK. Now what? There probably was a 12 volt battery installed for some reason. Just thinking. Weak starter. Generator/regulator not working. Guessing, you need to determine what have, condition, and what you want the tractor for; working tractor or restore to original condition.
I have an excuse. CRS.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rudi » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:54 pm

countryguy wrote:It looks like a generator but I do not know whether it is 6 or 12 volts. Most likely it is still 6 volts. Is it easy to identify if it has been changed over to 12 volts?

As a couple of the guys have said that would be the configuration for turning a 6v into a 12v real quick. The easy part is to simple remove the resistor and change the battery to a 6 volt battery and you should be back to the original configuration. I currently have a 56 that has a 12 volt battery on a 6 volt battery ignition setup in the barn. If I get it for myself, it is going back to 6 volt. This one will eventually go back to a mag as well as I prefer mags to distributors.

Usually the resistor looks something like this:

Used to find them on the older Chrysler cars, my 63 Imperial had that setup and that is the part I ordered when I put the resistor on the 56 for my neighbour.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Rudi
Team Cub
Team Cub

Zip Code: E1A7J3
eBay ID: ve9rhs
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1951 Cub "Jethro"
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby countryguy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks for the information!
countryguy

Zip Code: 29620
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub

Previous

Return to Farmall Cub