This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Used a little too much English...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Used a little too much English...

Postby Matt Kirsch » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:33 pm

I think I used a little too much English:

That's what happens to an 18" pipe wrench with a 48" cheater pipe when you're trying to free up a stuck front knee on a Cub.

I was trying to narrow up the '53 Cub. The right knee slid right out, so I cleaned it up, slathered it with never-seez, and stuck it back in.

Not such good luck on the left side. She wouldn't budge, but since the other one came out so easy, how stuck could it possibly be, right? Well, I banged on it with the deadblow for a while, and imagined that I moved it a fraction. Figured I could latch on with the big pipe wrench and just twist it loose... Uh-huh...

Ended up using some heat on the tube, and THEN she twisted free and came right out.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Thackery
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Used a little too much English...

Postby Thackery » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:06 pm

50 years of sitting in the spot will do amazing things.
Heat seems to always work but it is usually the last resort.
That Cub looks really narrow. What are you going to use it for?
Thackery
1953 Cub, Sickle Mower, 42" Mower, Cultivators, 189 Double Plow, 54 Blade, Grader Blade
1968 Lo-Boy w/1000 Loader, 1957 Lo-Boy w/FH, FH Disc, FH Potato Plow.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Matt Kirsch » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:05 pm

I grew up on a farm so I tend to go for the heat a little sooner than "last resort." You really didn't have time to dorf around fixing things, so you used what you knew would work. Luckily it wasn't stuck too bad, and my piddly little oxy-acetylene setup was enough.

Wish I could torch the whole tractor because the heated metal has a really nice finish. A quick wire brushing and it's ready for paint.

It's set up for the 44" tread width for maximum Cubbage in minimum space.

Once it's painted, I think it's going to be my full-time sickle bar machine.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:45 pm

Matt:

I guess that was a bit of the ooops factor going on there. Sometimes that happens. I have bent a few tools over the years but never managed to bend an 18" pipe wrench before ..... that must have been some stuck :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

thebigron
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28650
Tractors Owned: 1948 (Catie) and 1949 Cubbies (Dad's original) and 1972 Massy Ferguson 135
Location: 1/2 Way between Maiden & Denver; Mooresville & Lincolnton; Charlotte&Hickory, NC.

Postby thebigron » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:31 pm

I wish I had taken some pictures of the pipe wrenches in the power plant I worked in for 40 years. To say they had been mistreated would be the understatement. These were Rigid always and were 18", 2', 3' and 4', and I've seen them all broken and bent both in cast and aluminum (of course). Toward the end of my work I am looking at a 36" one in the scrap yard, as we were allowed to weigh and pay for scrap, it too had a busted housing and the handle was bent somewhat. But what caught my eye was a decal put on there by Rigid that warenteed the housing against breakage forever. Since it had the nut, hook jaw and base jaw still on the wrench I picked it up and took it home. Come to find out a mechanic told me that it was not uncommon to attach a steel cable to the wrench end and pull with a crane, beating it with a 16 or 20 pound sledge hammer, and a couple of Rose-bud torches a screaming on one of those 4-5 or 6 inch nuts trying to break it loose from a steam turbine or boiler feed pump. Several years later I contacted Rigid and after they knew how it came to be broken they sent me a brand new 36" housing. The newely refurbished wrench now resides in my shop and has been used by the local fire department from time to time and me on rare occasion. Nice to have in a pinch. And yes, I have abused it with a 4 foot long cheater. A man has got to do whatever it takes to get the job done.

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Postby gusbratz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:15 am

when i worked in the steel mill i was useing a 4' aluminum pipe wrench and we got on it so hard it sheared the little roll pin where the lower jaw attaches, but the handle didn't bend. i never knew that lower jaw was on a slide before that one. it was a ridged brand and we had a 2 ton comealong on the handle doing the pulling. a lot of people get sort of uppity about the "right tool for the job" sort of attitude but when you are up to your ass in alligators you sometimes have to make do.......

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:09 am

And here I thought they made pipe to make wrench handles longer. My dad and I put a cheater on a 3' Rigid when replacing his steam boiler.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:21 am

I think if Ridge Tool was concerned about people slipping pipes over the ends of their wrenches, somewhere between 1923 and now they would have fashioned a big round ball at the end of the handle "to prevent your hands from slipping off".

The Ridge Tool pipe wrench factory was on my route when I was a city driver years ago and one of the benefits of picking up there was a small table with scratch and dent products for sale for pennies on the dollar. The worst defect I recall seeing was a pipe wrench with a poor paint job. I still use it today.
Attachments
1354525886-picsay.jpg
1354525886-picsay.jpg (48.72 KiB) Viewed 784 times
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:45 am

Glad you got it off. One of the worst jobs on one of these old cubs!! I haven't gotten up the courage to do the left side of mine yet, and since the sides are even now, I might just let it where it is and forget it.

When you look at the physics of these axles, there is a lot of rusted surface area to adhere together, so each square inch doesn't have to exert too much force in order to make for a REALLY stuck axle.
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:39 am

Hengy wrote:there is a lot of rusted surface area to adhere together, so each square inch doesn't have to exert too much force

I never put it in that perspective but that is one wide bond or weld to break!
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:16 am

Pipe wrenches aren't the only thing that gets power enhancement from a pipe. I used to work in the hardware department at Sears and there were quite a few wrenches with broken jaws returned that the handles were circles. Vern

Jim Reid
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Reid » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:54 am

Try using a cheater bar on the china made junk that is being sold today and see what happens.

Jim

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:11 am

That's an "Olympia" brand wrench made in India.

I'll tell ya, when the knee finally moved I thought I finished off the wrench. Then I was like, wait, I think it moved. Went the other way and holy moly, it's loose!

Other than the leaky seals hemorrhaging oil , this is a really nice, straight, tight tractor. Plus now it doesn't look like a hermit crab with the front end 12" wider than the rear!

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:10 pm

A college educated wrench turner could have calculated the stress applied to the pipe wrench using the following formula:

(18 + 48 x :stooges: > Image = Image)

:lol: :lol:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:19 pm

ricky racer wrote:Image

A college educated wrench turner could have calculated the stress applied to the pipe wrench using the following formula:

(18 + 48 x :stooges: > Image = Image)

:lol: :lol:

Oh man... that was DEFINITELY the force needed to move Merlin's front axle. Took several tries, several cocktails, several hits with a heavy hammer...

Not going there again!
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Return to “Farmall Cub”