This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carrier platform

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Carrier platform

Postby Bus Driver » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:20 pm

Thank you for that additional information. The one in the CAD drawings seems to be better suited, strength wise, for the Cub. The angle iron is smaller. But the overall dimensions are very similar.
Luck favors those who are prepared

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:45 pm

Most of the metal work is now completed. I have a home-built carrier on a considerably larger tractor, 3-point hitch, and often have to secure things that are being hauled to keep them in place during the move.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-1- ... 66458.html

For the carrier for the IH, welding a couple of rings like these to the vertical flange of the angle frame on each side might be very useful for ropes or chains to secure cargo. They would be positioned so that the rings swing in the horizontal direction. That should keep them out of the way unless they are needed. For those of you have have and use a carrier on your Cub, how does this idea sound?

If anyone has an original IH carrier for the one-point, what size (diameter) are the bolts through the front vertical angles?
Thanks for all your help.

EarlyCub49
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18036
Tractors Owned: Presently
1949 Cub
1953 Cub
Kubota Zero turn
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby EarlyCub49 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:28 pm

If anyone has an original IH carrier for the one-point, what size (diameter) are the bolts through the front vertical angles?
Thanks for all your help.[/quote]

The 4 bolts are 5/8" dia. x 1 1/2" long 11 tpi.

Bruce T.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:59 pm

All the hardware is called out on this page:
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20Parts%20Manuals/CBI-2A%20Revision%201/Platform%20Carriers/Page%2004.jpg
The handiest place for tie-downs depends on what you are carrying but is always wherever you don't have them. Usually a couple bungies are adequate for Cub speed. I often end up with a pair criss-crossed from the stake pockets up to the top ends of the angle iron frames (usually just hooked to the top board).

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:48 pm

In an earlier post, I speculated that the bolted assembly was for the purpose of shipping knocked-down for space saving. The only other possible advantage I see is that repair would be easier if just one of the sides should be damaged in use.
Strongly considering just going with a fully welded assembly with the only bolts being the ones attaching the wood.
What are your opinions on this?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:40 pm

The only other reason I can think of for bolting it together is if a part (most likely the prong in this case) could be reused on another implement. I am not aware of any of the carrier being reused anywhere else.

You aren't trying to duplicate the original. Go ahead and weld it if it is more convenient for you.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:44 pm

Perhaps I should argue with myself. I am not qualified to really analyze the forces on the various parts as the carrier is in use. But the bolts first serve to clamp the parts together- putting the bolts in tension. Every other force on the bolts is shear. Lifting a load, for example. One might imagine that the IH engineers determined that the 5/8 bolt would hold all the sheer that the lift of the 140 could impose on it. But if an inattentive operator should back the carrier into a tree with some speed, the bolt might shear before some major part is damaged, such as breaking a final drive. The 140 has, I think, a very fast reverse gear and attentiveness is essential. It could hit an obstacle in reverse gear quite hard.
Tightly clamped parts, along with the clamping fastener, will withstand much higher shear forces than the shear strength of the fastener alone. So the "shear pin" ability is not assured.
But the knockdown ability would appeal to the accounting and shipping departments. And to dealers who stocked the carrier.
Decisions, decisions.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:21 pm

Decided on the bolted construction. Welding is complete. The parts list does not show the length of the deck boards. On Rudi's website, there is sketch showing the deck boards with an appreciable overhang, but no dimensions. Presumably the length would be either 4 feet or 5 feet. For the somewhat limited lifting capacity and the relatively narrow deck (about 28") behind the tractor, the length of the boards is most likely 4 feet. Can anyone confirm?
Thanks for the helpful responses that have brought this project to this point.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:29 pm

My boards measure 48", although I'm not positive that they are original.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:34 pm

Not the best time to mention it, but Bob Perry made me a 2x2 receiver similar to what Rick Prentice was making. It would readily accept a carrier that is commonly available (I got a nice one with another purchase). Not to mention it will accept all the other 2x2 stuff. Not the best picture, but you get the idea:
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:10 pm

That is one of the nicest Cub storage buildings in the background.

Can't you envision Lt. Columbo's Peugeot parked up at the house?
Last edited by Bus Driver on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:51 pm

Yep driver, I was scouting snow plowing work at the neighbors....
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:42 am

Some inspiration, perhaps?

I built this quite a few years ago now, using that picture posted earlier. All welded, and instead of a tube/bar, I used 4" channel steel.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:01 pm

Matt, what is the length of the deck boards?

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:14 pm

In that photo, 0" :D

IIRC, the board length was 42".

Return to “Farmall Cub”