This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

i did a check on head bolt torque

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Re: i did a check on head bolt torque

Postby beaconlight » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:12 pm

several of them were a fair amount under spec of 45 FT/LBS.

I don't really know how much in FT?LBS a fair amount is! Then again i have seen people reuse head bolts which is supposed to be a no no because of the stretch. Would we advocate removing, cleaning and adding sealant before reinstalling? Would we advocate replacing the ones a fair amount under spec? W ere they so loose one could fit a finger nail between the bolt head and the engine head?
As you can see from my earlier post on this subject I am skeptical that the retorquing will fully give the desired result but it just might help. Then again what type of sealant was used? Does it harden?

Too many questions for my little brain.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: i did a check on head bolt torque

Postby ntrenn » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:07 pm

I used the aviation gasket sealer on the threads, but you could use PTFE pipe dope in a pinch.

If you have bolt showing a gap - yep you should dig deeper. Yes - I would not reuse head bolts, but only because of the corrosion - the ones I took off the '65 were necked down by corrosion. Head gaskets don't like the clamp removed off them, but one bolt may not cause an issue.

Return to “Farmall Cub”