This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hydraulics good in one direction only -- TC Block issue?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DavidG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20132
Tractors Owned: 1972 IH Cub
1976 IH Cub
1979 IH 884
Circle of Safety: Y

Hydraulics good in one direction only -- TC Block issue?

Postby DavidG » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:59 am

Short story:
Hydraulics conked out and I found all the Hy-tran in the crankcase; Boss kindly rebuilt my hydraulic pump, I put it back on, flushed the the bit of remaining oil from the TC block (with Hy-tran), refilled the TC, bled the air.

The pump is perfect -- the hydraulics work flawlessly when raising, nice and tight. However, they lower very slowly -- maybe 4 seconds for full travel. And it sounds like there is an increased engine load when lowering, but no added load on the engine when raising. This is all with no implement attached.

When I refilled the TC block after bleeding the system, the oil that overflowed out was lighter-colored, like it was mixed with some air? Perhaps normal, maybe not.

I'm looking for thoughts on how to proceed.

Long story:
Since I got it, the cub smoked some and had (I thought, anyway) weaker/slower hydraulics, though they worked the same in each direction. It made sense that Hy-tran was getting into the engine, thinning the engine oil, and weakening the hydraulics. I brought the cub home with a tobacco transplanter and cub mounting brackets, hooked that up in the way it seemed would take least power to lift, but even so the hydraulics couldn't handle it. At this point I bet I dealt a final blow to the pump, whatever condition it was in beforehand. It's possible I ran the system some with low fluid -- I don't know at what point the rest of the Hy-tran went into the crankcase.

The pump is now fine. I looked at the TC troubleshooting procedure, but there wasn't anything about it being hard in one direction only. What would cause this issue? I'm guessing something's up inside the TC block, but what? Could lifting too-heavy a load hurt the TC block? I would guess they'd design the system so that the pump just wouldn't take the load, saving the TC block from harm...and it has safety valves too right?

Also -- this may be important, I just thought of it -- the TC block sat empty of oil for a month or so while the pump was rebuilt, and I didn't cork the hydraulic line holes, I just covered the thing with plastic so nothing would get inside. Could something have gotten a little rust? Or grit DID get inside, but there's a filter for that, right? Or an issue with the hydraulic cylinder itself, going out easily (raising) but meeting resistance going back in (lowering).

Thanks for your thoughts here on narrowing down my problem.

-David
Vegetable farming with a Cub, http://www.secondspringcsa.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Re: Hydraulics good in one direction only -- TC Block issue?

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:09 am

AFAIK, that's normal.

There is a restrictor in the plumbing that gives you more precise control when lowering.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:32 am

There is a orfice tube and screen that is accessable through a pipe plug on the cylinder head of the touch control block, remove the orfice and clean it and you might find a difference, it does not take much to plug up the orfice screen
Tim

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Matt Kirsch is correct - "they all do that, Mate."

It is normal for the touch control to put more load on the engine in the down direction, with or without an implement connected.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:32 pm

yes it is normal. the reason for the restricting orfice in the down position is to aid in lowering attachements slowly orther wise the attachemnent would drop rahter fast.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

DavidG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20132
Tractors Owned: 1972 IH Cub
1976 IH Cub
1979 IH 884

Postby DavidG » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:18 am

I checked the screen. Annoying to get to, but clean as a whistle.

I suppose you all are right. Other cubs I've used definitely had more smoother-acting hydraulics -- but I think that's actually because I've only operated the hydraulics with an implement attached. I've never payed attention to how the hydraulics work without a load. I stood on the rockshaft to add weight and it seemed to operate more as I'm used to. It does make sense that the system would be designed to counteract an implement's weight and operate normally with a normal load! Thanks for the explanations.

-David
Vegetable farming with a Cub, http://www.secondspringcsa.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”