This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Radiator finned-tube Leak and Repair

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ironlegs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16426
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Super A
1958 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub Radiator finned-tube Leak and Repair

Postby Ironlegs » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:57 am

Some advice sought about how to best repair a Cub radiator finned-tube leak. The leak is located on the lower right portion of the radiator tube bank...where a tube passes through the lower copper sheet metal head/panel. Fluid slowly seeping and pooling on the top of the axle casting...and is only noticeable after parking. I tried to solder the leak with the radiator mounted to the tractor but leaking persists. I believe my soldering process was wrong or, with the radiator on the tractor, I could not get sufficient heat on the parts. I am prepared to dismount the radiator this time...could someone share the correct soldering process with me (type of solder, amount of heat, flux, etc)?
Ironlegs John

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Cub Radiator finned-tube Leak and Repair

Postby Former Member » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:06 am

Boss Hog recommend a radiator sealer a while back. If Boss say's it is good, you can bet I will use it on my next leak.

I will see if I can find the thread.

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:20 am

Spotlessly clean repair site and plenty of flux. Mapp gas instead of propane if you don't have an oxy/acetylene torch and the tube completely drained so heat from the torch isn't carried away. If all of the above conditions are met, you should have no problem sealing a puncture wound. Cancer may be harder seal, sometimes the whole tube must be removed and the remaining stubs sealed top and bottom.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:46 am

On a "last leg's" radiator my Farmer Fix goes like this. Be gentle as you can, but get it done.

Needle nose pliers-Remove all fins 1.5" to 2" above and below the leak. A gentle back and forth twist will break the fin, next to the tube.

Set of dyke's or shop scissors- cut out a 1/2" to 1" piece of the leaking tube.

Flat Screwdriver- spread the tubes open where cut. (top and bottom)

Permatex (your favorite color(I like the red))- [Complete one before beginning the other] Squeeze as mush permatex as you can, deep into the tube. Now take the needle nose and pinch the tube shut (1/2"). Then, fold the tube using the pliers width as a guide. Pinch tight, then repeat.(2 folds)

Do the other end and it will not leak

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:05 am

Dale Shaw wrote:Squeeze as much permatex as you can, deep into the tube.

That would create a plug like you have to remove from the end of an opened tube. Never thought about that approach but on a no or low pressure system... Good idea. A lot easier than soldering.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:19 am

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=71872

Above topic lists the product and method I used to seal up a very leaky radiator on a 154 Cub low-boy.
I have an excuse. CRS.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:39 pm

Many moons ago a neighbor rammed the rear of my 1936 chevrolet with a a1938 buick. We plugged his radiator leak with juicy fruit chewing gum. He just hoped to get home that way. Bob ran the car another 3 or 4 years that way. Had to be early 50's.
I had success sealing bad tubes on a neighbors C. I cleaned the bad tubes with a 22 cal brass wire bush and then with muriatic acid i had put a piece of zinc in. Then I used regular copper tubing flux and soldered using 50/50. It held for a number of years till George died and his kids sold the tractor. Got the zinc from an old dry cell battery. I have been trying to remember why i did it that way and come up with a blank. Only guess is because one of my grand fathers taught me that way.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Farmall Cub”