This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub/Super A Distributor Timing Wrench

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ironlegs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16426
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Super A
1958 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub/Super A Distributor Timing Wrench

Postby Ironlegs » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:48 am

The "inboard" clamp and 5/16 bolt securing the horizontal distrbibutor bases (Cub and Super A) gives me fits when ignition timing requires adjustment...there's simply very little room for wrench-turning...especially on Cubs. I bought a 1/2 inch, 12-point combo wrench and cut away the open end to make a short-handled wrench for this application but it's still difficult to use. Does someone know a trick or special tool that can be used to loosen and re-tighten this bolt?
Ironlegs John

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Re: Cub/Super A Distributor Timing Wrench

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:06 am

You know those chintzy stamped-steel wrenches that come with circular saws, for changing blades?

I got frustrated one day with that inner bolt, and went looking for a 1/2" wrench to cut down, when I came across one. I put a twist in it like one of those "cross force" wrenches, and formed it so I could get 1/6 of a turn on the distributor bolt.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:54 pm

What you are looking for is a half-moon boxend wrench. One will work beautifully in this application.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:14 pm

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200396140

I have two of this style distributor wrench. Works on Cubs and most automobile engines. Available at auto parts stores.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:38 pm

I have a set of SAE and Metric Half Moon Wrenches and they are simply great to get in to some difficult areas where there is little extra room to turn a bolt. I also have a set of SAE and Metric S-shaped wrenches and they are really useful as well.

GearWrench Reversible 9 pc Half-Moon-Shaped Box Ratcheting Wrench Set

Unfortunately this set is no longer available but there are some other options - Half Moon Wrench Sets

I got mine at Princess - can't find them in the on-line catalog but they are still available. Darn good investment :idea: But then again I am a tool junkie :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:02 pm

Most cubs I've worked on this inside hold down toward the engine block has been pitched by the last PO.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:54 pm

Yogie wrote:Most cubs I've worked on this inside hold down toward the engine block has been pitched by the last PO.
True statement. Recently finished ignition tuneup on 154 Cub-low boy. Back bolt and hold down were still in place. Getting the back bolt and hold down out were not a problem. Getting the bolt and hold down back in place was. Finally had to remove the coil to get a finger from both hands in place to install the bolt and hold down.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:38 pm

Eugene wrote:http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200396140_200396140

I have two of this style distributor wrench. Works on Cubs and most automobile engines. Available at auto parts stores.
I have a set like that, but too long to get in place on a cub.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:46 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:You know those chintzy stamped-steel wrenches that come with circular saws, for changing blades?

I got frustrated one day with that inner bolt, and went looking for a 1/2" wrench to cut down, when I came across one. I put a twist in it like one of those "cross force" wrenches, and formed it so I could get 1/6 of a turn on the distributor bolt.

Smart!

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:40 am

I picked up a nice little Mac 1/2 - 9/16 half moon wrench at a flea market, a while back, cost me a whopping buck & a half! I put that in with my Cubfest tools! While I'm not really a purist and I'm not opposed to tossing the inboard bolt & clamp, something in me wants to put it back if it was there before. My little trick for getting it back in is to file the bolt hole oblong toward the clamping surface of the hold down. Then the clamp & bolt can be installed & screwed in a couple threads before installing the distributor. It can save a lot of frustration down the road!

Ironlegs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16426
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Super A
1958 Farmall Cub

Postby Ironlegs » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:49 am

I'm appreciative of the many ideas advanced on this topic. What do you think about replacing the inboard hex head bolt with a six or twelve point sockey head cap screw (SHCS) so an Allen key or rachet driven Allen bit could be used? Even my cut-down combination wrench is too big for the very small space between the distributor and engine block. I cannot even get a 1/4 inch drive sized (small) socket on the hex bolt head let alone drive it with any rachets, extensions, U-joints, etc. Another idea is to replace the hex bolt with a threaded stud and clamp the distributor with a nut of some sort.
Ironlegs John

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:45 am

If anyone decides to pitch their inside hold-down clamp, send it to me. I'll pay the shipping. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:44 am

Ironlegs wrote:What do you think about replacing the inboard hex head bolt with a six or twelve point sockey head cap screw (SHCS) so an Allen key or rachet driven Allen bit could be used?

Since you can't see it, this will probably really p___ off the next guy that tries to loosen it. And the next guy MIGHT be you.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:43 am

Ironlegs wrote:Another idea is to replace the hex bolt with a threaded stud and clamp the distributor with a nut of some sort.
The stud would probably work pretty well. You could install the distributor, hang the hold down on the stud then install the nut. This would curtail some of the frustration.

Even my cut-down combination wrench is too big for the very small space between the distributor and engine block. I cannot even get a 1/4 inch drive sized (small) socket on the hex bolt head let alone drive it with any rachets, extensions, U-joints, etc.
The space between the body of the distributor and engine block is to small for any tool. You need any of the curved or off set wrenches the guys previously suggested. The curved or off set wrenches will reach/turn the nut from narrower neck, under the distributor.

Gary Dotson wrote:My little trick for getting it back in is to file the bolt hole oblong toward the clamping surface of the hold down. Then the clamp & bolt can be installed & screwed in a couple threads before installing the distributor.
Another good idea.

Edit: I have a set of curved non ratcheting wrenches similar to the ones Rudi displayed. They will also reach the nut.
I have an excuse. CRS.

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:33 pm

Ironlegs wrote:The "inboard" clamp and 5/16 bolt securing the horizontal distrbibutor bases

That should be a 1/2" bolt. Curously, I have never had a problem using a regular half-inch box wrench on it. However, I don't tighten the back one more than snug, and put the "english" on the front one to hold it. Haven't had a problem yet (touch wood).
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Return to “Farmall Cub”