This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fast Hitch spreader for rocksalt

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 54911
Tractors Owned: -
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
FORD JUBILEE with Sherman 12-speed
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee
Cadet 108 with mower and snow thrower -Cadet 1650 with deck and thrower
Circle of Safety: Y

Fast Hitch spreader for rocksalt

Postby ToddW » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:52 am

has anyone fabbed up something like this. I sure would like to see a picture of it if they have.

Would like something with a 5 gallon bucket hooked up to my Fast hitch , to toss some rock salt behind me when I push snow with the front blade

I can get a FH spike from agri supply and fab a plastic bucket connected to it no problem. Attaching a some kind of spreader on the bottom of the bucket is what I'm looking for ideas on
Last edited by ToddW on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tractordad
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01516
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub w/ IH C2 mower
50 High wide "demo" cub with dual fertilizer hoppers
51 high wide cub w/474 planter
62 High wide cub w/ fast hitch
72 High wide w/cultivators
75 Red Long stripe w/fast hitch & C2 mower
76 Red long stripe w/IH 1000 loader & duals
77 long stripe with IH C2 belly mower
55 Super AV w/cultivators
56 Super AV
57 130 High crop w/cultivators
1 IH 574 w IH 2250
quick hitch loader

Re: Fast Hitch spreader for rocksalt

Postby tractordad » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:57 am

ToddW wrote:has anyone fabbed up something like this. I sure would liek to see a picture of it if they have.

Would like something with a 5 gallon bucket hooked up to my Fast hitch , to toss some rock salt behind me when I push snow with the front blade

I can get a FH spike from agri supply and fab a plastic bucket connected to it no problem. Attaching a some kind of spreader on the bottom of the bucket is what I'm looking for ideas on

Do you want it PTO driven or ground driven?

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee

Postby ToddW » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:03 am

I guess what ever would be easier to make. PTO driven sounds nice but it could also get expensive?

My concern about ground driven is with the front blade being raised and lowered while snow pushing, that would also effect the ground driven bucket in the back

What about 6 volt battery operated spreader? there must be something like that made---Just a thought

tractordad
10+ Years
10+ Years
56 Super AV
1 IH 574 w IH 2250
quick hitch loader

Postby tractordad » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:09 am

ToddW wrote:I guess what ever would be easier to make. PTO driven sounds nice but it could also get expensive?

My concern about ground driven is with the front blade being raised and lowered while snow pushing, that would also effect the ground driven bucket in the back

What about 6 volt battery operated spreader? there must be something like that made---Just a thought

Finding a 6vt motor will be a bit of a challenge. Finding one that would work in this application will be a much larger challange. Is it a must that they work at the same time or could you spread salt once you finish plowing? If you have a belt pulley, I have some ideas as how to drive a spreader. Even if you don't, getting one to drive the spreader may be your cheapest way out. You could also look for a 6vt to 12vt converter that may work. I have concerns with the pos/neg ground aspect between the two and the affect to the 12vt motor.
Last edited by tractordad on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee

Postby ToddW » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:12 am

they would not have to work at the same time-the more seat time the better! would really like to see your idea for the PTO driven setup!

I do have a belt pulley

Johnk454
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36303
Tractors Owned: !
'52 Cub

Postby Johnk454 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:18 am

Outside the box slightly, but have you considered an electric game feeder? You can get those set up already on 5gal buckets or just the drive kit. They "spread" corn, so rock salt shouldn't be an issue.

Every one I've seen runs on 12Vdc, tho. A 12Vdc brush motor, in theory, can run on 6Vdc - with less RPM and torque of course. In practice, the unit might have a brushless DC motor and that will not run on 6Vdc if designed for 12Vdc. Of course, they come set up to house their own battery, so you could go that route also and forget powering from the tractor.

Something like these: http://www.moultriefeeders.com/catalog. ... feederkits

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:49 am

Todd:

Get one of the large lawn fertilizer pushem's. They are ground driven. Then get a planter gear drive. Add some roller chain to a slightly beefed up shaft and spreader assembly if required (extend the shaft and either bolt, pin or weld on a sprocket) to accept the roller chain. Now you have a ground driven salt spreader for your driveway.

I think Winfield Dave came up with an ash spreader that will do the same thing ..BIG Snow a-Comin'
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

tractordad
10+ Years
10+ Years
56 Super AV
1 IH 574 w IH 2250
quick hitch loader

Postby tractordad » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:21 pm

ToddW wrote:they would not have to work at the same time-the more seat time the better! would really like to see your idea for the PTO driven setup!

I do have a belt pulley

Just off the top of my head, I know you can remove the flat belt pulley and put a v belt pulley on. If you mounted a ground driven spreader on a fast hitch point, removed the drive wheel and found a v belt pulley to fit the axle, you could drive it that way. You would want to Line up the pulleys when you mount the spreader. Now, leaving the PTO engaged, you could have the fast hitch go up and down the tighten the belt to engage the spreader. You could bend the axle easily so I suggest a stop chain. Another option would be to use the fast hitch to get the proper belt tension, leave it alone after that, and just engage and disengage the Pto. You would want to check the rotation so you know that the product is being thrown away from the tractor. I would also build a shield between the spreader and the cub. Salt will eat it up.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:58 pm

To keep the fast hitch from raising and lowering with the blade, you need one of the fast hitch holdup hooks that would normally be used with a sickle mower.

I found a handy substitute is one of those twist clevises used on the old-time trailer plows that come unhitched when you hit a rock.

An idea for the rock salt spreader: A rock salt spreader. They make such animals for the backs of compact tractors and pickup trucks. Granted, that's cheating in the spirit of this discussion :)

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee

Postby ToddW » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:10 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:An idea for the rock salt spreader: A rock salt spreader. They make such animals for the backs of compact tractors and pickup trucks. Granted, that's cheating in the spirit of this discussion :)

Only thing is they seem to start around $400 :shock:
was looking for making a cheaper alternative to that

Gerry Powell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 78736
Tractors Owned: two 1948 Cubs
1951 Super A
Kubota L2350

Postby Gerry Powell » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:34 pm

There is one made for the Cub, fits perfectly and is wheel driven but is not fasthitch. You won't need the planter, just the drive for the unit.
Gerry

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:59 pm

http://www.earthway.com/products/mounte ... spreaders/

I have one similar to those shown in the above site. It will speed pelletized lime. Just guessing, the gates can be opened up to spreed items 1/2" in diameter. The gate and motor controls can be located for operation from the tractor seat.

If you spreed anything corrosive you need to wash the machine, let dry then oil the bearing on the motor leading to the spreeder.
I have an excuse. CRS.

47studebaker
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 47studebaker » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:09 pm

Johnk454 wrote:Outside the box slightly, but have you considered an electric game feeder? You can get those set up already on 5gal buckets or just the drive kit. They "spread" corn, so rock salt shouldn't be an issue.

Every one I've seen runs on 12Vdc, tho. A 12Vdc brush motor, in theory, can run on 6Vdc - with less RPM and torque of course. In practice, the unit might have a brushless DC motor and that will not run on 6Vdc if designed for 12Vdc. Of course, they come set up to house their own battery, so you could go that route also and forget powering from the tractor.

Something like these: http://www.moultriefeeders.com/catalog. ... feederkits

I have 2 "deer feeders" and both are 6v, one is a 5gal the other is 6gal.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:00 pm

Get one of the spreaders made for an ATV, and use one of the jump starter packs to power it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

palisades8
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10954

Postby palisades8 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:43 pm

Was there such a thing as a Farmall Cub rear mounted salt spreader?
I've seen one listed for sale. Says it's PTO driven
From the pictures, it looks pretty good (not something somebody pieced together)
Just wondering of this is one of those rare attachments

Return to “Farmall Cub”