This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Which way to go

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Which way to go

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:15 pm

This combination can make life interesting. Remembering which way to turn steering wheel is just one of the problems. Going forward is fairly easy, but you have to remember the trailer is about 18 inches wider on each side than the tractor. Going backward is a problem due to the severe arthritis in my neck and shoulders.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Which way to go

Postby jim turner » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:25 pm

John that is what that mirrow is for :D
Jim Turner

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:28 pm

jim turner wrote:John that is what that mirrow is for :D
yup, and I use it quite a bit for backing.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:07 pm

I was heart broken when Jim mentioned the mirror for I thought I saw one in the picture.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

danmcdonald
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60518

Postby danmcdonald » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:13 am

I have the same problem in my neck and shoulders were did you get the mirror? Can you get a close up picture? Thanks Dan

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:15 am

Dan:

That one looks like the one I have -- a Rick Prentice special from KubKraft :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:45 pm

Brings back memories of pushing a four wheeled hay wagon into a barn with a Farmall H not far from where this picture was taken.

For the all but two people on the forum who don't have a clue what I'm referring to.... Put up hay for John's dad in a corrugated metal pole barn with one about a twelve foot wide door. You wanted to get the hay wagon all the way in as close to the stack as possible since there was no electric to run the hay elevator. It was tuff to back the wagon into the door since you couldn't see around the hay. John's dad put a hitch plate on the front of the tricycle front H that was bolted to, and turned with, the wheels. You pulled up and got the wagon lined up pretty good with the door. Then unhitched and turned the tractor around and rehooked. You then proceeded to push the wagon into the door. You had a little better view angle around the hay being farther back but you really were literally aiming "for the broadside of the barn" since you couldn't see the door around the hay till you got close. Keep in mind the hitch pin for the wagon was about 2 feet in front of the pivot point of the front wheels of the tractor. So when you were going forward and the wagon was going "backwards" and turned the steering wheel to the right, the wagon tongue went to the right, the "front" wheels of the wagon went to the left, and the "rear" wheels went to the right. It worked great as long as you made small turns of the steering wheel. Go a little to far and not be able to get back under it and you would be knotted up before you got anywhere near hitting the barn. Remember you can't see the barn door very well because of the hay and you're getting directions (and heckling) from the rest of the hay crew. Try it sometime!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:30 pm

I have. LOL yes, I am one of the 2.

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:48 pm

Scrivet wrote:John's dad put a hitch plate on the front of the tricycle front H that was bolted to, and turned with, the wheels. You pulled up and got the wagon lined up pretty good with the door.

My dad did the same thing on our M-F for the same reason. Except it was welded to the bottom of the brush guard of the loader frame, so it didn't turn with the wheels.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:29 pm

John, was your wife just standing there shaking her head in disbelief when she saw this setup ?? :D

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:25 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:This combination can make life interesting. Remembering which way to turn steering wheel is just one of the problems. Going forward is fairly easy, but you have to remember the trailer is about 18 inches wider on each side than the tractor. Going backward is a problem due to the severe arthritis in my neck and shoulders.

I would have that outfit wadded up into a big pile of scrap metal in no time!
Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:08 pm

Kind of like backing a large airplane into the hanger with a tug, or driving a 98" wide bus through a 96" door! (stagered mirrows.)
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:15 pm

cubguy47 wrote:John, was your wife just standing there shaking her head in disbelief when she saw this setup ?? :D
That is pretty minor compared to some of the things she has seen me come up with.

Super A wrote:I would have that outfit wadded up into a big pile of scrap metal in no time!
Al
My shed doors do need a little straightening.

Rabbit Holler Flash
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rabbit Holler Flash » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:30 pm

Super A you made me shoot Mt. Dew thru my nose. I saw that picture n caption "wadded up in a pile of junk" . Thats MY log splitter out front lol , thought John said he wadded it up :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: Oh yeh i guess im #2 of 2 on that hay ride lol. Of course i was the one giving lil bro much needed support and expert advice, since i had been doin it at least one season longer than him. Funny i dont recall any heckling hhmm.

panda
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49910

Postby panda » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:12 pm

Sure brought back memories of pulling 2 hay wagons full of hay with one tractor. The last year we made hay on the farm(67 or was it 68?) I was able to back up the wagons (which were hitched together) and spot them at the elevator in one shot. I don't think I could back one up and come close to the mark now. To be 18 again! Thanks for bringing back the memories. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”