This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Another Primer and paint question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 76502

Another Primer and paint question

Postby Jdbfish » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:59 pm

Sorry about filling up the board with so many questions folks but here's the latest quandary:

I decided to go with the ih red 2150 oem paint but could not find any primer for it in stock anywheres close. N order to beat the rain we have moving in, the guy doing my blasting took it upon himself (with good intentions) to pick up some primer/thinner from a local auto paint supplier and used it on the parts he already had blasted. Now I am not sure if it is compatible with the irongard ih paint.
The primer is cps brand code cps 20 universal grey primer reduced with parts plus brand collision pro pps-1 fast acrylic enamel reducer. I would like to use the oem paint with a hardener and/or clear coat to increase gloss and durability. Will this be OK? recommendations please.....

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Re: Another Primer and paint question

Postby Clark Thompson » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:46 pm

should have used a laquer based primer. what you have to do now is to give the primer about a week to cure. If you paint over the enamel primer with acrylic enamel paint it may orange peal if the primer is not cured. Even after a week or so I would paint a small part to see if the paint reacts to the primer. with enamel hardener and your enamel paint you should NOT clear coat unless the paint has cured for 2 weeks. and then you will have to wet sand the paint with 800 grit wet paper or the clear coat will not stay. If you want to uses a clear coat then you should use a base coat designed for clear coat. By using the proper base coat you can clear coat it soon as the base coat is dry to the touch. Usually in 20 to 30 minutes. Dont ask me how I know all this. I will say I learned it the hard way.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Return to “Farmall Cub”