This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Should governor turn freely?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 76502

Should governor turn freely?

Postby Jdbfish » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:29 am

Just got thru taking everything off the motor for teardown. Had a hard time getting the governor off. After removal, you cannot turn the drive gear by hand and it takes a fair amount of force to get it to turn using a large screwdriver turnd 90 deg across the mag drive slots. Is this normal? Doesn't seem like it should be this hard to turn

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Should governor turn freely?

Postby Bill E Bob » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:37 am

Yes, the governor should turn easily (if we're talking about a Cub). If the engine has been sitting for a long time, it (governor) may just need cleaning and lubrication.

Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jdbfish » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:41 am

It sat for about 5yrs but started right up and seemed to run fine when I brought it home a couple of months back. Either way, it does not turn freely so I will disassemble and clean it up to see if that helps, thanks.....

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:08 am

You should take it apart for your rebuild, check the bearings and that the weights move freely, replace the governor spring and make sure the arm moves freely that the spring hooks on to
Tim

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:02 pm

It would also be a good time to replace that dime size seal where the rockshaft comes out of the side.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:37 pm

You should read Lurker Carl's Cub Governor Rebuild. Carl documented a very experienced IH Tech and Dealer rebuild my Governor at CubFest Northeast 2004. Very interesting project -- not on the cheap side either... and the part's prices have since gone up to boot :shock: :roll: :(
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jdbfish » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:27 am

Just got done reading lurker Carl's post. Good info there. I am going to start pricing parts for the rebuild. Budget money on this project and i am broke but i cant let all the 4h kids involved in this down by stopping now. We are trying to get donations of goods and services but not having much luck. Pulled the head on the engine and the bores all measure .004 to .006 oversize so it looks like an engine rebuild is needed as well. Will it ever end ? ........

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:04 pm

If you are doing this with the 4H kids, then this is about one of the best things you can do to get them involved in small farm farming. A Cub is a great tractor for the small farm and is very well suited for the endless chores that a small farm seems to have. They will learn so much and because they are part of the process instead of watching it on a DVD, then they will retain so much more.

I am constantly amazed at what a Cub can do both on the farm and with the farm's kids, grand kids -- it is simply amazing how these Cubs can foster a connection with the land that other methods simply can't do. Not sure what it is - maybe it is just the community I don't know, but what ever it is, the Cub is definitely part of the equation.

You may want to see if your local Ag program as the schools can help with the engine rebuild - in concert with your 4H kids - more will learn something useful. BZ on being involved in 4H.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jdbfish » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:46 pm

I agree with you Rudi, a very worthy project and thanks for the advice.

Anyone know of an inexpensive source for engine parts/kits?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:53 pm

Check with our sponsors. Both new and used, they should be able to get pretty much all of what you need.

Return to “Farmall Cub”