This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gasket Sealant Question

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Gasket Sealant Question

Postby bookman51 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:56 pm

I have been getting an oil leak at the bearing cap just below the clutch of my Cub 154. I finally got around to taking it off today (kind of a bear to get to the four bolts out). I have new gasket. Since I only want to do this once, I thought I would ask about whether or not I should use a gasket sealant on the gasket or not? If yes, what is recommended? :help:

This is the bearing cap below the clutch and is on the tranmission housing. The part number is Cub Cadet IH-350845-R1; CAP, BEARING RETAINER.

And is there an easy way to put this cap back on? Took me quite awhile to get it off and I am not sure my fingers will get up in there to put the bolts back in easily? :lost:

The leak has been a problem since oil gets on the mower belt and is thrown everywhere.

I do plan on cleaning and polishing up both surfaces pretty well. Any other advice?

Thanks

Larry Hardesty

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Gasket Sealant Question

Postby RaymondDurban » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:07 pm

Larry, I like to use Indian Head Varnish on my gaskets. It's available at most all auto parts stores.

Did you pull the two bottom bolts from the transmission along with the spacers? I know there is not a lot of room to work under there, but short of pulling the entire rear end from the frame, you are probably going to have to remove a piece at a time till you have enough space to get your hands in there.

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:27 pm

Thanks regarding the Indian Head Varnish. I will check on it tomorrow. I took off the piece that I think activates and equalizes the brakes (I have only one brake pedal). That gave me room to get to the bottom two bolts easily. The top two were a bear to get out, and probably even more so to get back in.

Thanks much.

Larry

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby RaymondDurban » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:38 pm

The Varnish comes in a small brown container. The cap has a dauber attached to apply the product. Apply a thin even coat to both sides of the gasket. It has the consistency of an extra sticky syrup, but will clean up with carb cleaner. A little bit goes a long way!

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:29 am

RaymondDurban wrote:The Varnish comes in a small brown container. The cap has a dauber attached to apply the product. Apply a thin even coat to both sides of the gasket. It has the consistency of an extra sticky syrup, but will clean up with carb cleaner. A little bit goes a long way!

Thanks very much.

Larry :D

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:30 am

I use the Permatex pruple/brown Hi-tac sealant on all my gaskets. It's similar to the Indian Head, but you can typically get it at any auto parts store. Make sure to clean all the surfaces with acetone or some good degreaser prior to re-installing, or it will leak again no matter what sealant you use.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:46 am

gitractorman wrote:I use the Permatex pruple/brown Hi-tac sealant on all my gaskets. It's similar to the Indian Head, but you can typically get it at any auto parts store. Make sure to clean all the surfaces with acetone or some good degreaser prior to re-installing, or it will leak again no matter what sealant you use.

Thanks for the tip. Acetone I do have. Hopefully I only have to do this once, which is quite enough.

Larry

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:56 pm

I go the Indian Head sealent from NAPA this morning and got the gasket put back on this afternoon. I had to drain some of the hydraulic/transmision oil out. I will let it sit overnight and put the oil back in tomorrow and start it up. Hope I got the right place and hope it holds. Thanks for the help. Real pain to get the top two bolts back in. With some help with some magnets I go them in. :D

If it goes well tomorrow I will put the belly mower back on, which is an adventure in its self.

Larry H.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby RaymondDurban » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:00 pm

Glad to hear of your success! :D

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:57 pm

I see that Permatex now owns ? Indian Head :?: Permatex 20539 Indian Head Gasket Shellac Compound, 2 oz..

Still trying to find it up here. Has to be available somewhere.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Well, I started up the tractor and ran it about 10 minutes. I put a piece of cardboard under the transmission to see if there were any leaks. Well, about 20 minutes later I noticed a small drip. It is not from under the gasket I replaced but about 6 inches to right (when looking from the front of the tractor). I suppose it could be from oil that leaked out while fixing the gasket (I can always hope). I looked around quite a bit and could not identify another leak, but it was getting late in the day. I will take another good hard look tomorrow. Open to suggestions. :(

Thanks

Larry

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:44 pm

Check the Hyd return line that runs in that area.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:50 pm

bookman51 wrote:I noticed a small drip about 6 inches to right (when looking from the front of the tractor).
On the left side (right when looking from front) of the transmission/differential are 2 or 3 hydraulic return lines. One or two lines go to the hydraulic oil filter and one from the oil filter to the bottom of the transmission. Hydraulic oil filter sits on top of the housing where the lines connect.

My first guess, easiest to fix, hydraulic oil filter gasket leaking. Second guess would be loose hydraulic fitting. If it's one of the hydraulic fittings you will probably have to remove all of the sheet metal on rear of tractor to reach the fitting.
I have an excuse. CRS.

bookman51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bookman51 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:07 pm

Thanks much.

Larry

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:25 pm

Indian Head Gasket Shellac Is what we use to call it the name may have changed
Good stuff
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”