This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Final Drive Fluid '48 Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
steveTN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38068
Tractors Owned: Ford 3600
Farmall Cub

Final Drive Fluid '48 Cub

Postby steveTN » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:43 am

Got around to changing the fluid in the final drives this weekend. Looked at the manual and on FarmallCub.com as well and all said 1 3/4 pints each. That seemed to fill the pan completely, so when reassembling, the inserting of the gear caused it to overflow a bit. Is that the norm or am I missing something. Thx.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Final Drive Fluid '48 Cub

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:24 am

yes there is a fill plug on the back side of the finial, takes a 1/2 in drive to fit it.
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:28 am

That is full capacity, but to get that much in it has to be added via the fill plug just above the pan. The plug is between the drawbar mounting holes and takes a 1/2 inch ratchet or extension to remove and replace it. All that is really needed is enough for the big gear to dip into it a ways, and it then carries it up to the upper gear, so filling the pan to just below the top then bolting it in place is sufficient. That being said, I do go ahead and add enough through the hole to bring it up to that level though, just to be on the safe side.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

steveTN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Farmall Cub

Postby steveTN » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:37 am

Thx. I missed that little detail, but of course my eyes and my reading comprehension not what they used to be. I'll pull the plugs just to be sure I'm full. Thx. to all.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:39 am

Really, it's a lot less messy if you install the pans dry and then put the fluid in through the level check plug :)

That said is there any way we can stop calling it "fluid" and start calling it oil, or gear oil or gear lube? For some reason calling it fluid evokes mental images of disgusting biologically-based substances.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:50 am

Fill the pans to an inch and a half below the top and carefully install them, using Indian Head sealer on both sides of the gasket. No overflow and no leaks.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:01 pm

I am confident that the factory assembly method was to install the pans dry and then fill through the indicated holes. Correct fluid level with minimum mess.

The finals probably were fully assembled, including the pans, then installed on the tractor, then the lube was installed.
Luck favors those who are prepared

mrdibs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19520
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
2007 Cub Cadet

Postby mrdibs » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:17 pm

I overfilled mine. Took a couple months to self-correct all over my garage floor.

steveTN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Farmall Cub

Postby steveTN » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:52 pm

LOl. Yeah, my garage has a bit of a gear oil smell. Oh well, it would have been this or diesel or gas or paint. One thing I'm learning about the cub, lots of plugs. Thx. to all.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:09 pm

Having said all that was already mentioned, you really only need to keep the gear dipped in gear lube. It's not necessary to "fill" the gear lube till it comes out the fill port. Most folks here will just put in enough like Don mentioned, so that when the pan is installed, the gear lube is not above the gasket. This is quite adequate to keep the gears sufficiently lubed, and there's no chance of the gaskets leaking and dropping oil all over the place. Chances are, you could probably run the things totally dry and there wouldn't be any problems, but it's not worth trying.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

mrdibs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19520
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
2007 Cub Cadet

Postby mrdibs » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:16 pm

gitractorman wrote:Having said all that was already mentioned, you really only need to keep the gear dipped in gear lube. It's not necessary to "fill" the gear lube till it comes out the fill port. Most folks here will just put in enough like Don mentioned, so that when the pan is installed, the gear lube is not above the gasket. This is quite adequate to keep the gears sufficiently lubed, and there's no chance of the gaskets leaking and dropping oil all over the place. Chances are, you could probably run the things totally dry and there wouldn't be any problems, but it's not worth trying.

But it's more fun to laugh at those of us who overfill and have stinky garages.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:02 pm

To play the devil's advocate , If your rear seal was leaking would you drain a quart of oil out of the engine? I think not. If your seals are in good condition it will not leak when filled to the proper level.
If you are not going to work the cub less lube should be OK. I fill mine to the recommended level. I have crossed the fence on this one. I also use to believe only about half enough gear grease was enough. But I found out different.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:20 pm

Bus Driver wrote:I am confident that the factory assembly method was to install the pans dry and then fill through the indicated holes. Correct fluid level with minimum mess.

The finals probably were fully assembled, including the pans, then installed on the tractor, then the lube was installed.

Always an interesting question how the factory did things, answers are often a surprise. My guess is that they put in a measured amount and didn't check with the level plug. Also, given the inconvenience of working under the tractor to fill them, I wouldn't be surprised if either:
A. The nearly assembled final drive was inverted, a maesured amount of oil dumped in the open bottom, pan was bolted on and it was then turned upright.
B. A fully assembled final drive was turned on it's side, a measured amount of oil was poured in the filler/level plug and it was turned upright.

The only evidence I have to support the blind addition of a fixed amount is a bulletin from early in the production cycle of the Farmall A. In essence, it said we need to reduce the published volume for the transmission from X to Y. It has been discovered that we have been overfilling them at the factory.

A marginally related story: I bought a new '77 Jeep. When it was a year old, I took it in for lube and inspection. When the guy pulled the filler/level plug on the front axle, oil came pouring out. No way that much could have been put in unless the axle was laying on it's back. At least as much had to be added to the rear differential to bring it up to the plug. It had about the right amount oil, just in the wrong places.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:24 pm

Luckily the later editions of the Operator's Manuals switched to HyTran from gear oil. Really don't like the smell of gear oil.

Finals are pretty well known for leaking. I have found Hylomar is a good gasket sealer, doesn't harden and can be 'reused'.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:59 am

You guys make me smile..... :) :)

I would not want to fill the finals in the factory unless they were fully assembled. Since there are seals at all openings, they most likely fully assembled them, injected the measured oil into the fill plug and capped it off. Just my 3 cents worth from being in the transmission business.

As far as oil in the finals - yep only takes a few ounces of oil to lube the gears and bearings, but in my experience, a final drive that's not leaking has no oil in it......so fill er up with the right amount and when she stops leaking, fill her up again.....

Return to “Farmall Cub”