This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Governor rockshaft extension bracket repair.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Criswell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48180
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub with
- 54 Blade
- 193 Moldboard Plow
- Woods 59 C-2 mower

Governor rockshaft extension bracket repair.

Postby Criswell » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:43 am

Not wanting to go through and re-invent the wheel if someone already has a good method/practice for repairing/restoring this bracket. I had read through quite a bit in past posts about rebuilding the governor, but I was not able to find any mention of repairing the actual bracket. To make sure that we are on the same page, it is listed as #5 in the parts manual picture (251469R1).

I have an idea on repairing this bracket to remove the slop/wear that is present, but before I get into it, I thought I would check and see if anyone has come up with a way to do this repair or an alternate method. I have seen a lot of tips and ideas to remove as much slop/play from all of the different connections and wear points, but I have not found any mention of this point. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Where you are, right now, is of absolutly no use unless you are able to get away from it, FAST!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Governor rockshaft extension bracket repair.

Postby Eugene » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:01 pm

Check for wear in the woodruff key, part #6. Usual location for a lot of the slop.
I have an excuse. CRS.

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:05 pm

As an alternative to replacing the parts, I have personally used JB Weld to secure the joint.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Criswell
10+ Years
10+ Years
- 54 Blade
- 193 Moldboard Plow
- Woods 59 C-2 mower

Postby Criswell » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:49 pm

Wrong end of the extension shaft. You guys are talking about this part:

While I am talking about this part:

Just trying to see if anyone has a method of taking the slop/wear out of this point before I start on my idea.
Where you are, right now, is of absolutly no use unless you are able to get away from it, FAST!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:17 pm

Drill it out and press in a bushing.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:18 pm

Since that is a casting, welding on it should not be done except if absolutely necessary-- if it was broken, for example. The piece that fits into the worn hole could be welded up and made oversize for a tight fit. Or a bushing could be pressed into the hole and then drilled to the desired size.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Criswell
10+ Years
10+ Years
- 54 Blade
- 193 Moldboard Plow
- Woods 59 C-2 mower

Postby Criswell » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:04 pm

Bigdog wrote:Drill it out and press in a bushing.

That is the route that I was starting down. Like I had said, I didn't want to try and re-invent the wheel. Just a little bit of set-up to get it done right, then press in an Oilite bushing, and also add on oil hole to the top of the bracket. I would have thought that there would have been a bushing originally at this point, but I guess not.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:02 pm

The cub was only designed to last a few years not 50 or more :D it was built on the cheap side back then.
That is one part that have have had few problems with to tell you the troth I can not remember having to replace one on account of excessive play in it.
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:13 pm

I have had more of an issue with the connection there between the shaft and the coupler that attaches the flat lever to it. It develops slop in the roll pin/hole.

Criswell
10+ Years
10+ Years
- 54 Blade
- 193 Moldboard Plow
- Woods 59 C-2 mower

Postby Criswell » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:11 pm

Nothing spectacular or complicated, I know. I just made a quick little fixture to hold the bracket to an angle plate, then centered up with the existing hole, nearly 0.050" oversize (and oblong). Once drilled out (31/64") and reamed to 0.500" I pressed in an Oilite bushing (AA-521-1).

The only thing left to do now is drill a hole at the top of the bracket for a small press-in flip-top oiler. After that, ream the bushing to size, and it's ready to go. That should keep this point well lubricated from now on.

Return to “Farmall Cub”